The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 pm 

I think it stinks that MS keeps changing the OS and rendering expensive software unusable. I was able to get my v.14 to run, though crankily, on Win 7, but it seems Win 10 is a bridge too far for it. I'm no Windows guru; am I missing anything? Is there any hope?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:39 pm 

a nifty thing in Win 10 is that you can run programs in emulated earlier mode

Just right click on the program file, choose compatibility and the choose what windows version you would like to run in

hope this helps

/L

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 am 

I run the 2012 release on Win10 with no problems whatsoever, so it surprises me 2014 won't run.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

EJFoeth wrote:
I run the 2012 release on Win10 with no problems whatsoever, so it surprises me 2014 won't run.

I think he's referring to the old Release 14, not 2014. It was only the third version made to run on MS Windows.

Best bet is to run it in XP Mode within Win 7, if that's an option.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:38 am 

Ah, right... well, upgrading to a later version certainly won't hurt (I have a most affordable academic license) but otherwise running in some compatibility mode is worth a try.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

V14 is not eligible for upgrade any more. AutoCAD is going to a subscription only model.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:09 pm 

Just to be clear, I have AutoCAD v.14, not 2014. It's like my using Dad's 100 yr old hammer...it's not the latest, but it's perfectly adequate. I can still run it on my old Win 7 laptop, but its on it's last legs with a broken case, duct tape for hinges, and a jury-rigged transformer.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you have to build a new PC, you can still spec it with Win 7.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:11 pm 

Forget Windows. Try Linux :) (everything I do is produced under Linux Mint 17+Blender 2.72b+Gimp 2.8+Inkscape :) As you see it is possible :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 am 

You might even be able to run V14 on Linux using a Windows emulator. Several guys are running DesignCAD 3D Max on a windows emulator and, surprisingly, it is significantly faster than running under Windows on the same machine. Windows display routines are notoriously convoluted and slow, while Linux has simpler, more direct drivers for the display.

With the way Windows is going (10 is worse than 8, and that is worse than 7) I'll probably be switching over to Linux one of these days. I already have it running on my workstation.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:32 am 

DrPR wrote:
You might even be able to run V14 on Linux using a Windows emulator. Several guys are running DesignCAD 3D Max on a windows emulator and, surprisingly, it is significantly faster than running under Windows on the same machine. Windows display routines are notoriously convoluted and slow, while Linux has simpler, more direct drivers for the display.

With the way Windows is going (10 is worse than 8, and that is worse than 7) I'll probably be switching over to Linux one of these days. I already have it running on my workstation.

Phil

I've been tempted to try Linux but always backed out for fear of screwing up a computer. Can it be run on a trial basis on a Win 10 computer without harming the Win files?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:50 am 

On my machine I run a dual boot with Win 7 and a Linux distribution called Zorin. Zorin is designed to look a lot like Windows, so it makes it a little easier to feel your way into Linux. IIRC the dual boot feature is part of the Zorin download.

Linux is useful in resurrecting old Windows programs that will not run under contemporary Windows OS's. I like Office 97 for example, pure nostalgia, and I was able to bring it back alive under Linux. Windows 7, including its virtual XP operating system, cannot or will not run Office 97.

The parallel to your v.14 problem is the date, 1997. I think 1997 was also the date of issue for Autocad v 14. So it might be worth a try. The Windows OS in 1997 was Win95.

The windows emulator I use under Linux is Wine. Here is a report on how it fared on a trial with Autocad v14.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=103

In my experience emulation can be made to work, sometimes, but it is not quick and easy. On the other hand, because it is a big project, it is one way to learn how to navigate and use Linux.

Another way to recover legacy files and/or run legacy software is to find a Win95 laptop on Craigs or ebay. I bought a refurbished Win95 machine here:

http://www.laptopoutlet.com/delad8uslap4.html

I used it to recover some legacy database files. This one shows Win XP but a Win95 machine is probably available.

All that said, it might be time better spent learning one of the free modern CAD programs, e.g. Draftsight or Sketchup. I notice Autodesk's Fusion 360 program often has substantial discounts for students and hobbiests.

Michael

Last edited by mcg on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:13 pm 

DavidP wrote:
DWPC, 32 or 64bit windows tho I think 64bit on the win10?

I have a new 64 bit laptop running Win 10, a beater 64 bit running a cranky AutoCAD on Win 7, and an old bulletproof Gateway 32 bit running Win Vista and AutoCAD but I have sneak it away from my wife to use it.

My primary need is simple 2D for plans and templates, but I play with crude 3D for visualizing.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:42 am 

DavidP wrote:
same version autocad on both the beater 64bit win7 & the vista 32bit? if both are same autocad, which runs better?

It runs considerably better on the Vista 32-bit. It locks up frequently on Win 7 64-bit. I don't think I ever paid any attention to the whether the software was 32 or 62-bit. I'll have to check into it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For Win 7, you can download XP Mode from MS. I run PhotoShop in XP mode, but prefer my CAD to have all the RAM available in Win 7 64.

Report this post