The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:17 pm 

Hello.
I don't know if this has been discussed on this board or not, but to save time finding it, the question is: Which software/program should I get for the purpose of designing 3D ships, particularly the hull? I have designed many things in 123D Design software by Autodesk and it worked really well for superstructures, platforms, funnels, etc. For something like very complex shaped turrets and hull, it seemed nearly impossible to design these using this software. I have seen many designers create very, very nice hulls for various medias, including 3D printing, which I am going to go with once my designs are done. So, if anyone can point out a good and affordable software, I would be happy.

Thanks in advance! :smallsmile: :wave_1:
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:31 pm 

Hello Aop !

I for myself don't work with it but a friend on my forum does some really good hulls and also superstructures with Delftship.
There is a free version available here : http://www.delftship.net/DELFTship/inde ... tship-free .
It will take some to get used of it but the results are great or al least can be after some practice.
You can find some hundred tutorials on YouTube if you want to have a look .

Actual project : CVE-60 Guadalcanal , scale 1:72 Radio controlled

"I dont have friends : i have a hand-picked gathering of maniacs"

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:06 pm 

Maybe try this:

http://freeship-plus.en.softonic.com/
or
https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeship/

I have tried it. For me this software works well.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:56 am 

Aop,

What do you want to do? Create new hull designs based upon theoretical formulas or generate accurate models of existing hulls based upon drawings or Tables of Offsets?

Programs intended to design new hulls may not have the complete set of CAD tools to recreate an existing design. Ordinary CAD programs don't have the hydrodynamic modeling calculations to generate a new hull. And many programs can generate pretty pictures but lack the tools for accurate CAD design.

If you want to model existing hulls accurately you will be better off with a full function CAD program. However, it will not be easy! Creating complex curved surfaces with accuracy requires good familiarity with how a program works and great discipline on your part. It is not a simple one step process - you may have to tweak the design many times.

So you face two problems. If you start a new program you face a learning curve just to be able to draw anything with it. And then you have the process of designing a complex curved shape to match an existing hull design. It is not easy!

Then you have the additional problem of generating leak-free 3D printer files. For this you will need strict discipline in your design process and a program that can produce 3D printer files.

I use a program called DesignCAD 3D Max:

https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/desi ... ax-25.html

It is not a hull design program, but is an inexpensive full function CAD program. It does generate STL files. I have used it to create a number of accurate hull models of existing ships. It is not an easy process with DesignCAD, but it can be done. Here is an example:

http://www.okieboat.com/CAD%20hull.html

It has a very good free user Forum, and there are some tutorials on how to create complex curved surfaces and boat/ship hulls:

http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:23 am 

Thanks everyone for replying me! All those softwares you posted here look great and most importantly, they are free!
@Phil, What I want to do is to create a nice hull for a 1/700 Lion class battleship kit I agreed to produce with Tom's Modelworks. Obviously I will face learning curve in the new softwares and so far I am trying to experiment some possibilities in 123D design, so if it goes OK, I might post a few shots here. If it turns out bad, then I'll try a new software and compare the result.

Thanks for the helps! This is why I really like this forum! :wave_1: :big_grin:

Aop

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:03 am 

Hello all!
I think 123D software wouldn't work anymore. @SirElkon, I have downloaded the software you recommended, but I want to know if it is capable of being converted and uploaded on Shapeways? The hull is going to be in 1/700 as well, and from what I see, the unit is in meter, so that looks like a 1/1 ship designing?

Thanks,
Aop

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:57 pm 

Aop Aur wrote:
Hello all!
I think 123D software wouldn't work anymore. @SirElkon, I have downloaded the software you recommended, but I want to know if it is capable of being converted and uploaded on Shapeways? The hull is going to be in 1/700 as well, and from what I see, the unit is in meter, so that looks like a 1/1 ship designing?

Thanks,
Aop

Hello !

Like i mentioned in my post , I for myself don't work with Delftship.
The program is the free-version with reduced (!) possibilities of a software for real ships indeed. But it works as well für models.
2 screenshots , Edsall class destroyer 1/72 :

Attachment:
DS 01.JPG
DS 01.JPG [ 49.13 KiB | Viewed 2710 times ]

Attachment:
DS 02.JPG
DS 02.JPG [ 45.76 KiB | Viewed 2710 times ]

I will ask my friend who is working a lot with DS (and did the above shown hull) if .STL is a possible file-format.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:40 pm 

Hello again !

I got an answer from my friend : Delftship can create .stl-files and two 3D-models made with DS have been printed already , with hobby-3D-printers and in a bigger scale but that shouldn't matter.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:52 pm 

SirElkon wrote:
Hello again !

I got an answer from my friend : Delftship can create .stl-files and two 3D-models made with DS have been printed already , with hobby-3D-printers and in a bigger scale but that shouldn't matter.

Thanks for the help, Lutz! That destroyer hull looks really nice! I am glad it can be used in 3D printing, but one more question; would Shapeways work as well? Sorry but I don't know one bit of these stuffs. I am not intended to do it in large scale. My project is very small: just in 1/700! A hull of that scale would be just around a foot long!

I hope a software could help me, or I'll have to scratch build it... :wacko: :tongue:
And by the way, Phil's USS Oklahoma city is extremely beautiful as well!

Regards,
Aop

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:03 am 

Hello Aop !

As far as i know shapeways will be able to print with any STL-file that matches there needs regarding material thickness and so on.
One of the hulls my friend made was a "Mystic 5000" , a racingboat wich was printed in HO-scale 1/87. Originally it's 50 ' so the modell is obviously smaller then one foot. It works fine and is even radio controlled !
Finally there is only one way to find out : draw your hull and send the file to shapeways . If there should be anything not okay they will tell you .

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:11 am 

SirElkon wrote:
Hello Aop !

As far as i know shapeways will be able to print with any STL-file that matches there needs regarding material thickness and so on.
One of the hulls my friend made was a "Mystic 5000" , a racingboat wich was printed in HO-scale 1/87. Originally it's 50 ' so the modell is obviously smaller then one foot. It works fine and is even radio controlled !
Finally there is only one way to find out : draw your hull and send the file to shapeways . If there should be anything not okay they will tell you .

Thanks Lutz! I really appreciate your help! Still, my brother insisted me to continue with 123D Design. We'll try our best to reach the farthest we could. If it doesn't work, then we would have no where to go other than trying a new software for sure.
:cool_2:
Thanks,
Aop

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:02 am 

So 123D Design obeyed us no more! Well there is still some possibilities, but that means nothing but lots of head aching works. I am attempting the Delftship, but I am not so sure how to use it.. :thinking: I can't find the tool to import the plan images, so could anyone please help? I've watched many Youtube videos, but maybe I'm not really good at these stuffs... :smallsmile:

Thanks a lot!

Aop

And our artworks!

Report this post