The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kit-assembly post EMP
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:48 am 

Last edited by merriman on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:40 am 

I have thought about other possible events as well..Financial crash, Power Grid hack, maybe civil unrest or even out and out real war..which I believe the US would see it "Come Home" to our shores. Several possibilities...not just EMP.
As you stated rightly so...between the zombie hordes and bands of marauder gangs looking for food it would leave little time to Model.
A couple years back I left the Coast to move inland by a couple hundred miles...out to the country for a more simple life so to speak. We live partially off grid, grow our own food (no simple task that is) raise our own "meats"..and make "Things" by hand. The wife makes quilts,clothing candles and can's what food we grow. I have picked up several "new to me" skills..wood working..re-loading, hide tanning mechanical repair..and so forth. And we live without air-conditioning and cable TV. I like this life....yes it is hard and wished I had made this choice when I was a younger man....but it is what it is. And it is hard work...long hours..fraught with failures at times....Even now in these "GOOD TIMES" I have very little to no time for modeling. Just to busy. The "stash" will most likely never get built.

It's a qualified question you ask...but even more deep that what many think or presume. Blessed are we who live in the USA! Our currently living population has never known hardships like Europe or the rest of the world has known since the World Wars..or even before. Many get flustered and whine when a certain PE set or AM kit part is out of stock...or the ATM is down for the moment. We live in a false reality with a sense that everything will always be good and nothing bad will happen...after all we are "muricans ..by-god. It can all come crashing down without hardly a moments notice.

I don't know David...guess I will have to learn to carve for hulls and mash berries for paint/stain.....oh wait! I'm too busy..

Kudos on the Oil Lamp and reflector.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:05 am 

Last edited by merriman on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:56 am 

Well not sure about being a long term survivor when that day comes I'am just a little more prepared than some folks...that's all.
While I'm not sure at all about "instant" destruction, I do see many things coming that could/will lead to a slow but sure decline in our "Me-Me-Me"society. . I just don't want look like a Deer in the headlights when it happens.

There was a time in my life when I had my head so far up my rear I couldn't see day light.
Now I'm not a Fatalist...but more of a Realist . I see the iceberg on the horizon so I won't be heading to the Bar to hear the Band play while Titanic sinks.

Yes I know you posted the thread as a "Shit-and giggles" comment but it struck home with me as to remembering why I do what I do...thank you for that.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm 

I actually am ready for the zombie apocalypse. I'm actually looking forward to it.

My sister: "Where is the soup?"

Me: "In the pantry. Just look out for axe."

My sister, pauses, quizzical look on her face: "Why is there an axe in the pantry where you keep the food?"

Me: "Where else would it be?"

Sadly, this is all true... :smallsmile:

Report this post