The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free CAD Program
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:02 am 

Can't believe this slipped my mind but a few here asked about free software so if there are any still looking try this.

http://www.alibre.com/products/xpress/x ... or_all.asp

This is a free download that you have to sign up for but its worth it. They will send you an email to activate it and keep you informed of updates and other goodies that they come up with. ( They want you to buy a bigger version ) What they fail to realize is the free version ( Xpress ) is too good for anyone to want to upgrade. :heh:

They don't send too much nag mail either. A nice support forum along with user submitted parts to view is also a neat thing to wander through. Don't forget about the built in tutorials.

Anyway, if you browse the description page you can see that it is a nice powerful piece of software that you can actually do something with. :thumbs_up_1:

I tried this a few years back.

TommyL.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Free CAD Program
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:27 pm 
It is not free, but 30 days trial!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:54 pm 

hello;
I just tryed to get the download and went through all the steps but it kept saying I didnt answer the required survey questions.

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:09 pm 

You should probably contact their technical support.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:00 am 

So how would one rate this?

Planned builds:
3 more 1/700 AH submarines

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:07 pm 

Hrvoje wrote:
It is not free, but 30 days trial!

This is an old thread from a few years ago but back when I gave this software a try it was free as long as it was the Xpress version. I'm not sure if they have changed things up anymore..........sorry.

TommyL.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:53 am 

Can someone recommend a good simple freeware CAD program? All I need is a program that will draw geometric shapes (circles, rectangles and squares are all I need) to scale to dimensions I select. I need to be able to tell it to draw a square 19 inches on a side, for example, then a circle 5 inches in diameter, etc, and to be able to move them around on top of one another. All I can find are very complex CAD programs that are easily a hundred times as complex as I need.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:55 am 

Would Google Sketchup fit your needs?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:05 pm 

If you're going for 2D drawings, then you might want to try MS Paint.

Planned builds:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:18 pm 

I don't know what MS Paint you're using, but mine doesn't allow you to tell it to draw shapes based on a measurement input =/

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:36 pm 

Well, if he were to work out a key (1 pixel= X amount of feet), then he should be fine. Although, fine curves would not be available, MS Paint showing a rigid curve. I work on Shipbucket lately (Trying to get my What-if designs done), so I've been using MS Paint.

Planned builds:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:12 pm 

I see. Have you thought of trying GIMP? It's free and sits nearly at Photoshop level.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:46 am 

Try draftsight.

Modern and free CAD program by Dassault.

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -software/

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:01 am 

It sounds like you're looking for a 2-D vector graphics drawing program rather than something that manipulates pixels.

xfig will let you draw circles, rectangles, and squares. The edit function allows you to enter numbers to set the X and Y coordinates of each of the vertices or center and radius for a circle. It handles english or metric units. The place to start is http://xfig.org and the direct link to the user manual is http://xfig.org/userman/.

In linux, you just fetch it using the software manager and you'll be up and running in a couple of minutes.

If you're running Windows, you'll probably need to do a lot of fiddling (install cygwin and an X server) and it may not be worth the trouble. Google search "xfig windows" for the ugly instructions.

Good luck.
David

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:07 pm 

I just stumbled onto this thread. I've been using Microsoft Visio for my CAD needs with very adequate results.
Attachment:
Visio Pump.JPG
Visio Pump.JPG [ 90.15 KiB | Viewed 3069 times ]

It's not a "real" cad, but can be made to behave like one... and I got it cheap through work. Looking through eBay I see older versions (mine is Visio 2000) for very little.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Groucho Marx

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:12 pm 

If you decide to graduate up to a full featured CAD program that is relatively easy to use, I recommend DesignCAD. It is not free, but in CAD program prices it is almost free. The 2D version is $50.00US and the 3D version is $100US.

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/Othe ... fault.aspx

These are full featured CAD programs with the tools needed to design just about anything and make suitable presentations. They have some features not found in programs costing 100 times as much! Furthermore, the DesignCAD User Forum is the best I have seen (and it is free):

http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php

The program has been around since the late 1980s and is said to have about 100,000 users world wide, with about as many users in Europe as the US. When you post your question a knowledgeable user often will be online somewhere to answer the question almost immediately.

If you want to see what you can do with the program see:

http://www.okieboat.com/CAD%20model.html

Phil

PS: I am just a satisfied user. I don't work for IMSI or for a company that sells the program.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:24 pm 

I've just downloaded the trial version of DesignCAD. I'm completely unfamiliar with the ways and wherefores of 3d modeling - a total newbie! :big_grin:

Is there a way to learn the absolute basics of 3d modeling in this program? To me the program is completely non-intuitive. I need an, "Okay, this is a CAD. C-A-D..." style tutorial. The tutorial website they list on their help page is down. Someone neglected to renew the URL. :thinking:

Thanks!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Groucho Marx

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:51 pm 

noplate,

You can ask ANY question on the DesignCAD Forum. There are several "newbies" on the forum right now who are asking basic questions. No question is too simple or obvious!

http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php

You can get the V21 User Manual here if you don't already have it:

http://www.magicsystems.com/usa/DesignCAD_downloads.php

It has a pretty good introduction to program features.

One of the forum members ("the scud") has a collection of tutorials. Also, there is a basic "how to" tutorial for V17 available on the Forum. Just ask.

With 3D modeling you are creating an object, and not a drawing. You work with planes (polygons) and solids. You rarely use lines for anything other than construction frameworks that are discarded later.

You build a house in 3D CAD just like you would build the real thing, but you get fewer smashed fingers.* You also get to create the pieces instead of making do with whatever materials you have laying around.

There are two basic 3D methods:

1. Subtractive. This works just like machining a part out of a block of metal on a milling machine, or chiseling a sculpture out of a block of granite. You start with a large "working" solid and cut away parts you don't want until what remains is what you do want. For this you create "tool" solids and then subtract them from your working solid. Of course, in CAD you can create any shape tools, so you aren't limited to a few basic tool shapes like you are in the real world.

2. Additive. For this you create individual planes and grid surfaces and then piece them together to make all of the sides of a solid. Then you define the collection to be a solid. After that it behaves just like any of the solid primatives (spheres, cubes, etc.).

You will use both methods, depending upon which achieves the desired results fastest or easiest.

* Actually, you can do things that are impossible in the real world, like building a house starting with the roof and working down. CAUTION: CAD modeling is addictive!

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:14 pm 

Or you can press the "Model Ship" button and have it all done automatically. Most programs will let you set parameters for which ship you want to model. The good programs will let you set the timeframe of the ship, too.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:34 pm 

noplate,

You face two problems.

1. You have to learn how the program works. This is true of any program, and because no two programs work the same you can't carry much knowledge over from one program to the next. In fact, expectations based upon program A can be quite a handicap to learning program B.

The only way to learn how the program works is to experiment. work through the menus to learn what features the program has. Don't worry about what they are useful for, just learn how they work. The User Manual does a pretty good job explaining how to use each function. When you have a drawing problem to solve later on you will remember the program feature that is used to solve it. Think of it as learning what tools are available and how to use them.

2. You have to learn how to create objects in 3D. This is true with any program. The only way to learn is by doing. Start out with something simple like a table or chair. When you have a simple version done, think about changes to make it more elaborate - like curved legs for the chair or a cushion. Then figure out how to do those things. Ask on the Forum if you are stumped.

Typically when you ask a "how to" question on the forum you will get answers for more than one way to do the job.

When you get proficient with the program we'll explain how the "Model Ship" button works.

Phil

Report this post