The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:50 pm 

middle_watch wrote:
I used a tablet and stylus, but could not get on with it, just two many decades with a mouse in my hand!

I have one of the Wacom tablet and styles setups (the 4 X 6 I believe) and never got the feel for it. I do most of my graphics work in Photoshop, and I find I have much better control with my Logitech trackball setup. I'm sure it's a practice issue (I've been using thumb driven trackballs since I was in the Navy back in the ealry 90's), and when I finally get my Rhino copy loaded up, I'll try the tablet again.

-Devin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:31 pm 
Flagship Models
Flagship Models

I am a CAD draftsman for some time now. I use a program called DesignCad 3D Max Plus. It's a powerful (and suprisingly inexpensive) program that allows one to do anything you can imagine from 3D modeling, illustration, and animated walkthroughs as well as 2D and 3D drafting. I wish I had the time to explore the 3D part of the program more but time just doesn't allow. I know just enough 3D to be dangerous with it. It makes very good instruction illustrations that I use on all the Flagship detail sets and kits. And of course it works very well in designing photo etch. It can easily import and convert/export DWG and many other files as well allowing me to use and share files with AutoCad users.

Last edited by Rusty White on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:37 pm 
Flagship Models
Flagship Models

Devin wrote:
middle_watch wrote:
I used a tablet and stylus, but could not get on with it, just two many decades with a mouse in my hand!

I have one of the Wacom tablet and styles setups (the 4 X 6 I believe) and never got the feel for it. I do most of my graphics work in Photoshop, and I find I have much better control with my Logitech trackball setup. I'm sure it's a practice issue (I've been using thumb driven trackballs since I was in the Navy back in the ealry 90's), and when I finally get my Rhino copy loaded up, I'll try the tablet again.

-Devin

I also use a Logitec track ball. Wouldn't work in CAD without one. My program allows one to create a digitizer pad if you want but the track ball is so much better. I had a digitizer pad once but never got used to it.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:53 pm 
I use AutoCAD at work (2D, structural engineering) and for my Digital Navy card models. Extensive 3D in this case. I've also done some basic LISP programming - this can be real fun.
I use mouse (or combination of mouse and keyboard) and, to be honest, can't imagine anything else.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:03 pm 
Flagship Models
Flagship Models

Roman1 wrote:
I use AutoCAD at work (2D, structural engineering) and for my Digital Navy card models. Extensive 3D in this case. I've also done some basic LISP programming - this can be real fun.
I use mouse (or combination of mouse and keyboard) and, to be honest, can't imagine anything else.

Funny this is mentioned. My daughter and hubby just bought me a wireless mouse and keyboard (Logitech) combo for my birthday. Man I just can't do this mouse stuff anymore. Too much moving around the mousepad. I'm keeping the keyboard and dumping the mouse. I'll go out and get a wireless track ball to go with the keyboard. Trackballs let you fly around the screen and never move your hand from one spot. I've gotten real used to that! :eyebrows:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:17 pm 

trackballs aggravate my tendonitis.... gotta be a mouse or stylus for me.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:21 am 
Flagship Models
Flagship Models

I keep finding myself at the end of the desk or running out of room. :mad_1: The scroll roller really helps though.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:36 am 

I haven't had that problem, but then again I usually jack my mouse sensitivity and speed all the way up first thing. I just measured and it takes me about 3" of movement to go from left to right on a 1280 pixel screen. I agree with you on the scroll wheel.. when I first saw them my comment was "pfft" but in practice they're way handy.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:44 am 
Flagship Models
Flagship Models

tracy white wrote:
I haven't had that problem, but then again I usually jack my mouse sensitivity and speed all the way up first thing. I just measured and it takes me about 3" of movement to go from left to right on a 1280 pixel screen. I agree with you on the scroll wheel.. when I first saw them my comment was "pfft" but in practice they're way handy.

Yeah, when I turned up the sensitivity it became difficult to fix the crosshairs where I wanted them quickly. Clearly for me the trackball works best. Doesn't a mouse aggrivate carpule tunnel syndrome? It seems to me it would, but I'm glad it works for you.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:54 am 

A tip for using mice: Place your thumb at the edge of the bottom of your mouse and the mouse pad/surface. That thumb wil allow you to move your mouse with much more precision at High sensitivity. Place your pinky and ring fingertip at the other edge to do the same. Don't bother trying to conform your hand to the mouse shape (ie, that slot it might have for your thumb that's above the lower edge...).

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:50 am 

Rusty White wrote:
Doesn't a mouse aggrivate carpule tunnel syndrome?

I have tendonitis, which is a bit different. I'm actually able to keep it at bay now with the ergo keyboards and more awareness of what I'm doing posture wize. I used to subconciously lean on my mousing hand and pressing down and bracing caused problems. I keep a much looser grip, pretty much the way timmy described it. The problem I had with the trackballs was that all the movement set my tendonitis off, but this was one of the early ones where you moved the ball with the pointer and index finger. The thumb traclballs are probably quite a bit different but I'm comfortable with the mouse and in my job (IT consultant and support) it's better if I stay with something that 99.9999% of our clients have at their computers... Lord knows I get screwed up enough at it is just by going from one keyboard to another :doh_1: :joker:

I'd say 90% of my tendonitis was caused by conventional keyboards... switching to the ergos removed most of the pain and problems.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:18 pm 

I've been using Autocad on and off since Release 2 for circuit board design and minor mechanical design. I'm no expert but I can get it to what I want as far creating 2D drawings. Currently using Acad 2000 with a mouse but I do love digitizer tablets for circuits boards and inserting predefined blocks.

I've successfully managed to work from original hull lines scanned as .tif's and then redraw over them to create CAD hull lines.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:19 am 
I am full time 3d modeler. Using mostly Rhino 3D to create my work. I started in 1997 from designing card models in Acad 14 but since than progressed into other areas. These days I create model masters for the resin and metal manufacturers. Not only ships although admittedly naval subjects are my favorite. As you can see on these few attached examples of my work civilian subjects are also included.
I did not mentioned ship names... hopefully you will be able to label them yourself. At least the warships...:)

Darius

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:31 am 

Nic elooking stuff! I wish I could afford Maya :P

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellant work Darius. I have admired your work for some time now. The Phelps you did was awesome. I recall a Mahan class too. What ever happened to that?

How do you compare Rhino's 3D hull building abilities vs AutoCAD? How easy is it to create the hull from a set of hull lines?

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:27 am 
Timothy and Tracy thank you

My Flusser ( Mahan class ) was produced in very small numbers ( scale 1/1250 ) and has been sold out long time ago.
As for the 1/700 Phelps, I believe that the first casting should start soon. Hopefully in June...

I am very happy with Rhino and when you know your software program well creating any hull shouldn't be difficult. The same applies to Rhino. Since I am using it 90% of the time, admittedly my opinion could be biased.... Still if I had to go back to Acad for doing my 3d work I would consider it as cruel punishment...:) AutoCAD is pretty good software though, and it works for me well whenever I need it. Is just I am trying to limit its use as much as possible.

Darius

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well maybe I will download the demo and try it myself.

I have no problems with AutoCAD esp. now with 2007 in doing most 3D. But lofting still leaves something to be desired.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:50 am 
It shouldn't be very difficult for you to pick up on Rhino since you have very good knowledge of AutoCAD. When originally released, Rhino was in large part based on Acad, and still is, although now when the version 4 is about to be available it became very unique product...:)

Darius

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:44 am 

Any recommendations for Rhino or 3d Max?

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:31 pm 
Hi Tracy,

it depends on what your ultimate goal is,
if you want to manufacture your 3d model than Rhino is the way to go.
On the other hand if you'd rather created renderings and animations Max might be better option.

Darius

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next