The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:27 am 
Flagship Models
Flagship Models

Tracy White wrote:
What's MSRP going to be? I never bought any of the Lonestar kits, but I am a fans of TBs, TBDs, and DDs :)

Not sure just yet on price. Probably the $45.00 to $60.00 range. It will have a LOT of photo etch for its size (9.5").

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:06 pm 
I’ve used AutoCAD for over 22 years now, but have done next to nothing in 3D on it. I also use CATIA V5 and everything in that is 3D. I haven’t been brave enough to try a ship or anything like that yet, one day I might.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:05 pm 
Flagship Models
Flagship Models

Okay guys, I'm making the big switch. I just got AutoCAD v.8 Architectural and installed it on my computer. I have been working with another program for fifteen years and I have decided to make the switch to become more compatible with my photo etcher and move to the industry standard. I have been talking with Cadman and he has promised to nursemaid me through this difficult time. :cry_3:

Once I get the new coordinate issues under control, the rest should be smooth. I HATE learning a new program. I have downloaded some tutorials to help me out with learning all the new commands. I am self taught on the program I am currently using so this will be no different. It took about three months to become productive on the current system, so I hope the learning curve will be shorter this time since I am already familiar with CAD programs.

Wish me luck.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:33 pm 

I wish you good luck! If I could afford the software I'd be there with you!

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:22 pm 

I relatively new here but I use Solid Works 2004. I worked in the Forging Die Design business for about 20 years and about 10 years ago and made a career change to become a Web Developer. I more or less inherited the software. I have been modeling a Sumner class destroyer USS Zellars DD-777, circa 1960's. Anyone else using SW's?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know a lot of Solidworks designers. I use it myself on occasion, but prefer AutoCAD Mech.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:30 pm 

Rusty White wrote:
I HATE learning a new program. I have downloaded some tutorials to help me out with learning all the new commands. I am self taught on the program I am currently using so this will be no different. It took about three months to become productive on the current system, so I hope the learning curve will be shorter this time since I am already familiar with CAD programs.

Wish me luck.

It has taken me about a year to effectively use SolidWorks '06 but I have no prior CAD experience to go off from. I hope you pick up on AutoCAD quickly.

Have fun.

TommyL.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 am 

How many computers will one autocad program work with? Can one autocad program work with multiple computers or do you need to buy separate programs for each one?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One copy of AutoCAD for one person.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:07 am 

Hi everybody!

I would like to ask your advice on which 3d program to learn (not to buy - price issue is not concerned in my case and not because I am billionaire but as my stepson studies in Politechnic institute where I can get a free copy of any software me being a graduate of the same).

My basic intererst is the creation of drawings (or 3D shipmodels) which can be then printed on 3d printers. If possible I would like those 3d models to look realistic not only or 3d printer but to human eye also. My concern is 'making' (or printing) models - not animation and the like.

I have heard of Rhino and Autocad. Rhino seems more user-friendly and there are online lessons for learning it. Autocad - more 'professional', drawings with white lines on black background. Plus I have never seen a 3d model made in Autocad (would be glad to see here a small pic). So I incline to think of Rhino but as I have heard 3d printers are working on Autocad drawings.

Also how do you think if one knows Rhino will it help him to immediately start working with Autocad or they are just very different? Also vice versa?

If possible I would be thankful for your suggestions, pros and cons of Rhino and Autocad and which versions of the products you are comfortable with and why.

Sorry for lots of quesions - will be grateful for any bits of information.

Yevgeniy

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yevgeniy wrote:
Plus I have never seen a 3d model made in Autocad (would be glad to see here a small pic).

The Dragon Buchanan kit was designed in AutoCAD. Contrary to popular belief, it has a robust 3D engine. It is my software of choice, but I think you will find Rhino to be very user friendly to a first time user. Solidworks is pretty good too and many mold makers use the injection molding plugins that can be integrated with the program.

Attachments:
5in38-01.jpg
5in38-01.jpg [ 175.64 KiB | Viewed 766 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:41 am 

Thank you Tim, this is the best recommendation on the subject I have ever had.

Yevgeniy

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:16 pm 

The new Scharnhorst model was done entirely in SolidWorks.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:09 pm 

I am thinking primatily about 3d printing technology.

I suppose that the situation with 3d printers will be the same as lets say with laser printers everyone has today. I heard that in 80s those printers (normal laser printers for paper) cost fortunes (sames as 3d printers today) but now every student has one on his table for a hundred of bucks.

So it is very possible that we will have the same situation with 3d printers in some 10-15 years. If so, everyone can 'print' a shipmodel (with all details, etc.) within minutes having a 3d model in software used for 3d printers. Actually that is why I am now interested in software :smallsmile:

I heard that most 3d printers work with AutoCad? Is it right? What about Rhino?

Last edited by Yevgeniy on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:03 am 

SolidWorks has integrated 3d printing capabilities.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:06 am 

Yevgeniy, I think that by the time 3D printers are common enough to be affordable for most people, CAD programs will all have 3D printing functions ;)

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:16 am 

Timmy, yes, I somehow missed that point. This was my primary reason to learn Autocad instead of Rhino which looks easier.

However the second main reason is that according to my information it is Autocad which is the software for making real drawings (other programs are derivatives in different sences) so it is let's say a basis for working with other things, I think.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:02 am 

Programs like SolidWorks do drawings, but not as well as AutoCAD. And AutoCAD does 3D, but not as well as SolidWorks. By themselves, they do great things, but working together, the are even better. I would suggest learning ACAD first, then once you feel reasonably secure in doing 3D in ACAD, then start to learn SW. Then get a really powerful computer, cuz ships, they are kind big. And we modelors, we just can't leave details off.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:26 am 

Thank you for this suggestion - sounds reasonable and I will follow it - at least starting with Autocad.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:31 am 

Note that AutoCad is from Autodesk who has a good 3D version called Inventor. Both Solidworks and Inventor can create 3D images made in either solids or surfaces. For production or calculation purposes, we're moving toward solids more and more.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next