The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:35 pm 

Hi guys I am new to ship modelling after modeling aircraft for over 30 yrs. I would like to model me a few 12ft long ship models for radio control.

I would Like to do the Bismark, Yamamoto, Sumner or Fletcher class destroyer, and Possibly a Battleship like the Arizona.

Those are my wishlists. I have been using solidworks for several years now lofting aircraft fuselages but am having trouble doing a boat hull. I tried to see if I could find some premodeled hulls that I could use as a base and do all the deckwork from there to save time but alas havent been able to.

I dont mind starting from scratch as this way I can hopefully learn how to loft hulls. But I look at the drawings and station views and am totally lost as to where to start.
I am kinda looking for a mentor to get me off on the right track. it would be nice to find someone familiar with cad that lived in the states or canada as I can call for free anywhere in canada and the states and sometimes it easier over the phone than email or foum tag. I plane to do a nice WIP of my design and when finished dont have a problem sharing but thats a ways off yet.

Anyone out there that can give a fellow modeller a moment.

thanks
Joe H.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:27 pm 

Heres a few screenshots of my sumner class I would like to get the hull into solidworks

Attachments:
sumner2.jpg
sumner2.jpg [ 26.23 KiB | Viewed 1247 times ]
sumner3.jpg
sumner3.jpg [ 28.15 KiB | Viewed 1247 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:31 pm 

couple more

Attachments:
sumner4.jpg
sumner4.jpg [ 62.32 KiB | Viewed 1247 times ]
sumner1.jpg
sumner1.jpg [ 31.7 KiB | Viewed 1247 times ]
sumner5.jpg
sumner5.jpg [ 50.97 KiB | Viewed 1247 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:46 pm 

I am trying a couple things right now, will get back in a bit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:44 am 

I just got a call from one of the companies I design planes for and they want to fly me out to phoenix for 4 to 6 months to build a dozen old WWII erman planes for the discovery channel woot. that will give me a lot of time for drawing up my ships cause i wont have wife bothering me lol and they even got my staying in a loft above their machine shop which means I will be able to make some gun barrels and parts.

Man my mellenium just got made for me lol now all I need to do is have me some plans rofl

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:52 pm 

Joe,

I am in Oregon. I have not used Solidworks (but have worked with folks who do) so I can't help with the program, but I have quite a bit of experience with CAD modeling, including ship and boat hulls. I will be happy to help if I can. You can contact me through my web site:

www.okieboat.com

You will find pictures of my CAD work on the CAD drawing pages.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 pm 

thanks yes solidworks is a piece of cake for me I just need to figure out how to set up the station lines and profile for lofting the hull shape. I am still working at my research and need to trace all the lines yet now that I am sorta knowing which lines I need.

I looked through your site and love the job you did on the oakey. I am ex navy just 1 tour was on a spruance classe destroyer the USS Elliot but most my time was sailing around in DDG 15 USS Berkely so I am a destroyer nut hence the Fletcher or Sumner class preference.

Will get my act together and see if I cant get some of my loft set up and will pop a screenshot or two. if anyone wants to email me direct my email is jahuntley@mchsi.com

I have found that emails on some things can be easier because of attaching pics or files under some circumstances
Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:56 pm 

By the way I was thinking I was going to do the USS Sullivans DD 537 the first ship named after multiple persons. as most know the sullivans were 5 brothers all killed on the same ship and were killed on Friday the 13 in November 1942 in the light crusier USS Juneau CL-52 and me only being a hop skip and jump away from Waterloo Iowa where they were from have heard abt them all while growing up.

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:20 am 

Hey Joe; funny meeting you here,I have built all different sorts of models since as far back as I can remember but never a battleship.was talking with brother in law Chris the other night about the ship he served on and it got me thinking I might like to build a model of it so I started looking for information on it witch led me to this site. Turns out there isn't much info to be had. What I really need are the hull lines and if I could come up them I was actually thinking about calling you to see if you would be able to loft one up for me. It would be a display model in about 1/16th inch scale. Will be watching to see if you get all figured out.

mike.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:44 am 

which ship was that? I been collecting lot of stuff mayhap I might have soem drawings

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:36 pm 

USS-California (CGN-36)

mike.

Report this post