The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:39 pm 

May as well post these here. I've been working recently on a 'test' hull slice of HMS Tremendous, a 74-gun third rate from 1784. I wanted to try out and develop some ideas I had for how to approach the various aspects of building a full structural model. I also have some final artistic renders in mind, although they are a long way off just yet.

I won't saturate this thred with all the early untextured renders, but you can see those on my website if you wish.

Of key importance for this project was the development of a convincing wood material that would give me a fairly natural level of variation with minimal input from me at the point of application. I won't go into all the technical details of it here as this is not a CG forum (if you are interested, I will talk about it more in my next post about this on my website). These are the latest two renders that I produced last night that show the model in it's current state, and the first proper test run with the material I've developed. It's still very much a work in progress, and will evolve as the hull slice develops.

The gentleman on the orlop deck will be replaced with something more period appropriate once I've got around to making someone!

Attachments:
slice_019.jpg
slice_019.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 299 times ]
slice_020.jpg
slice_020.jpg [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 299 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:13 pm 

As ever, beautiful work! The link to your site is very helpful in explaining the ship builders' terminology. Michael

Report this post