The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:48 pm 

Ah, ok. Let me know when you want to do it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:54 pm 

np will be a while i just ordered my new drawings yest so by time i get them get them scanned get the parts traced lol we talking a couple weeks. at least on the that hull for the cruiser. if I ever get time from this airport model job to mess with my Yamato or bismark or Fletcher destroy again lol we shall see. I have a list in my head of 6 ships that I want to build at 1/72 scale but my main concern right now is just to get one hull drawn up so I can get a ship built before summer so me and my grandson can have fun this summer at the pond. thats why everythings so frustrating to me i think as I am in too big a hurry to get some kind of ships hull into solidworks so I can begin building.

joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:09 pm 

What are you using to trace the lines? I started off using ACAD for the sketch then opening the dwg in SW, but then I found out about sketch images.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:16 pm 

I use Corel Draw at the moment. I just want to learn how to insert the picture onto a plane ( think I know that one already done it a few times) but then I want to be able to scale the picture to the appropriate size/scale (what I dont know how to do)

But by doing it in corel I can scale everything and arrange things so that I can adjust the scale on stations etc so they actually match the plan views since most the time they dont all match.

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:46 pm 

Try making a plane, then use tools>sketch tools>sketch picture. Never rely on the drawing scale because when you scan it it all goes out the window depending on your screen resolution and the scanning resolution. Draw a bounding box and a centerline before you insert the picture. Then rotate it and scale it manually. It's the only way you will know it is perfectly accurate. You should also crop the scan of the hull lines pretty close and save it as a separate file. Otherwise SW will get bogged down with useless calculating when you insert it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:14 pm 

ok will try that. it actually dont take me long to trace the basic outlines in corel. and by doing that I dont have the extra memory of a 12 meg picture in SW.

I think the Yamato outlines with all the dimensions etc took me abt 2 hrs to trace and fix errors and inaccuracies. so I dont mind using 2 programs but one day would like to be good enough using all of SW features to do everything with just sw and not need any other programs for anything.

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:31 pm 

I don't think you will ever be able to do everything in a single program.

The CAD program I use (DesignCAD) allows me to work with bitmaps to a limited degree - scale, rotate, autotrace, etc. - they are just drawing objects. However, some of my scanned blueprints are 800 Mbyte to 1.2 Gbyte in size. It takes ten minutes just to load these files, and the redraws drag the CAD program to a crawl.

I can open these in Photoshop (a bitmap program) and edit them MUCH faster. I don't need most of the information in the original files (revision notes, references, parts lists, etc.), so I cut out the parts I want and paste them into a MUCH smaller bitmap file to use in the CAD program. I can also erase unwanted clutter and scale the bitmap in Photoshop, and save the new bitmap file at lower pixel resolution to further reduce the file size. Some bitmap file formats work much better than others as file imports into the CAD program, and Photoshop allows me to translate the image into the best format. Then I import the small bitmap files into the CAD program.

It is best to use a bitmap editor program to prepare the image for import into the CAD program, and use the CAD program to create the 3D model without trying to mess with the bitmap image. 3D drawing programs just aren't good bitmap editors, and probably never will be.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:37 pm 

your just a party pooper and killjoy tonight arent you roflmao

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:06 pm 

Joe,

Don't take it so hard - I'm just the messenger, so don't shoot me!

I am very pessimistic that programs will ever be able to cross the line between bitmap and vector. As long as software companies are run by greedy business types it will never happen. There is a reason why Adobe has Photoshop and Illustrator, and several versions of each. Ditto AutoDesk and its plethora of products. They can charge and arm and a leg for each of them. If they had just one program to sell you could keep one arm and one leg!

From a user standpoint it would be great if all CAD programs shared a common file type. Then we could pass files freely between programs. Mention this to a &*@#^-for-brains business monkey and he will go into spasms! That is the absolute last thing the marketing morons want, for then users could change programs freely and keep using their existing work. The business scum want to hold you prisoner to their programs and continue bleeding you dry.

Several virtual reality modeling languages (3D modeling) have been developed by academics, but the people who run the software companies refuse to use them. It is no coincidence that after IGES appeared as a file exchange format that every single CAD software company developed it's own incompatable version. They can claim to use IGES, but you can't use IGES files from any other program.

I have been dealing with these sleazebags for 30 years, with many different programs and companys. In that entire time not one company has made a serious effort to be cross-program compatible. In my opinion, they all suck!

See - I can really be a killjoy when I try!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:19 pm 

lol I was just teasing you. today has not been a good day. I been redrawing a truss that I drew up for our 1:1 Scale P-51 Mustang we are doing for the new Ft Meyers Airport terminal.

We spent weeks going over everything and getting the design down with me even driving to alabama for a week to go over the stuff. I created a nice pdf with the drawings sent all the templates etc. now the guy I draw for (not the airport) wants to totally redesign the thing because he wants to make it so he can do all kinds of stupid crap with it that wont be on this one but he wants to build this one just like future ones. he doesnt understand 3D cad isnt like 2D where i can scratch all over some paper and its done. he dont realize what using planes and points in 3D space take a wee bit longer to do. he told me the changes yest and today he is screaming he needs the drawings and whats taking so long lol.

I told him he gets them when I am done with them and i cant draw while talking on the phone rofl. he is wanting me to do a week to week in halfs worth of drawing over night just because somehow I always pull miricles out my arse now he expects it.

Grumpy (((

lol

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:03 pm 

I guess I am a victim of my ignorance. I specifically bought a ton of memory so I could do all this stuff at the same time and I keep forgetting some people might not have, want, or need the extra expense. 64-bit can be a big hassle sometimes but this machine was built specifically for this stuff.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 pm 

yea I have 2 being built for me now.

but i dont think Phil is talking computers but the software being able to do everything. IE just use solidworks to draw everything with as well as manipulate bmps etc. thats also the reason I use corel draw for my 2D as I can do a lot of the photo editing and messing with at the same time as drawing. That yammy I sent ya rob was done with corel.

Joe

Report this post