The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:38 pm 

Well, Chris has given me the blessing to let the cat out of the bag. Expect an announcement in the Manufacturers forum in the next month or so after they get the instructions and "official" graphics out of the way.

Anyhow, here's some more renderings of the sub. I know, some of the details are a little chunky and out of scale, but it's designed for sla at 1/350, and not so much for beauty. The original model was done nearly seven years ago. It was originally planned as a blank hull broken strategically into several parts so that Steve Nuttal could CNC it out of aluminum and Corian. After a few weeks of back and forth between Steve and I on CNC path setup, Steve, sadly, passed away.

About a year later the model came back to have all hull components combined and geared towards SLA, with details like limber holes, and photoetch deck to be added later. Apparently something went awry durring the initial mold-making, and the master was badly damaged.

About a year ago, once again, the model came back (at this point I refer to it as the boomerang boat). This time they decided to go all SLA on all details. So several months later of punching limber holes, and pouring over photographs to get the details right (I have yet to see a complete set of drawings that have anything consistent for a given time period) I think we have something that can accurately depict her from commissioning to 1957. Durring this time period, only small things (like filling in the lower two portlights on the sail for post '56, and omitting the upward looking fathometer on the Stbd foredeck for prior to '56.

I've already made a hull with the pointed tail fairing (also sans limberholes) for sixties version. Also have already made a round top sail that could be used for '58 (added prior to Operation Sunshine I and II), But we'll have to see how this one does sales-wise before investing.

Enjoy

Attachment:
render1.jpg
render1.jpg [ 31.74 KiB | Viewed 3125 times ]

Attachment:
render2.jpg
render2.jpg [ 35.34 KiB | Viewed 3125 times ]

Attachment:
render3.jpg
render3.jpg [ 25.99 KiB | Viewed 3125 times ]

Attachment:
render4.jpg
render4.jpg [ 56.87 KiB | Viewed 3125 times ]

Attachment:
render5.jpg
render5.jpg [ 42.77 KiB | Viewed 3125 times ]

Fritz K.

Last edited by Fritz on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:01 am 

That is lovely work! Is it true what I've heard about there not being a 'true' model of the Nautilus ever made before?

Sorry to hear about all the back-and-forth, hoping it's all going to go to plan this time!

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:49 am 

Very nice, it should make a great kit. I've always had a thing for subs, they just have that "cool factor" about them, looking forward to more of your work.

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:03 pm 

Thanks Owen and Dean.

As far as there never being a "true" nautilus model, I'm not sure. The Wilhelmshaven paper model gets the shape pretty much spot on, although the deck details are a little lacking. Even my model may not be 100% accurate, as I have conflicting evidence of where the safety track is lead around the aft rescue hatch, and no hard photos. I have mine looping around the hatch reinforcing plate and inboard of the stern winch, and I've seen some sources suggesting that it terminates outboard of the winch. Aside from that I think I've got her pretty much correct.

Where I find most kits have gone wrong is the improper positioning of the stations that were originally available at the archives (but have since been reclassified post 9/11). In the body plan there are 25 stations; 10 forward and 15 aft. What gives many people a hard time, is the secret that these stations don't describe the whole boat. The first ten are over 78.5 ft and the last 25 are over the last 124ft 10 in. In between the hull is just a cylinder. I find most models wind up trying to spread the fwd stations over loo long a length creating pointy bows.

The second thing I've noticed is that many get confused with the turtle-back/superstructure shape between the fore and aft sections. Between station 40 (i.e the tenth station) and station 44 (the 11th station) the hull is cylindrical, but the vertical angle on the turtle-back sides changes. The transition is one that was detailed in a separate bu-ships drawing that no-one has really been able to locate. The end result is that many seem to try to connect these points with a fair curve, or fudge the forward intersection line to a point higher up on the outer-hull. If you look at the launching photos it's clear that the intersection swoops up from the bow leveling off at station forty, and then near the sail, decidedly transitions up a second time. Compare the fifth picture I posted with the launching photos and you can see it.

As I said, I couldn't find plans that detail this area, so I had to go to option t#2, which was to survey the actual Nautilus. Luckily I live only an hour and forty-five from Groton. Armed with a clipboard, tape measure and an electronic level, I made the trip, hung over the side of the boat, measured the length from deck edge to the intersection, and measure the plate angle to vertical on both sides (take average, since she had a 2.5 degree list). Fore and aft measurements were measured from conveniently placed brass plaques with frame labels that are welded to the deck edges.

The hard Part? Convincing the Middie stationed at the top of the companionway , whose sole purpose was apparently to keep crazy people with tape-measures, clipboards, and electronic levels from hanging over the side of the boat, to...well.... let me jump the restricted access gate, head aft, and hang over the side of the boat..

Fritz K.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:12 pm 

OMG, that is amazing!

Don't feel bad about missing the odd thing here and there. A lot of us are into Civil War ironclads. There is one of those where nobody can agree how many funnels it had, so things could be a lot worse!

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:46 pm 

tea monster wrote:
Sorry to hear about all the back-and-forth, hoping it's all going to go to plan this time!

Owen

(Singing) Oooh..Ohh..The cat came back.. the very next day. The cat came back.. It wouldn't go away..

Yep. Chris brought the files over to the SLA service and they reviewed them with some "Suggested alterations to assure fidelity". And now,to rework the depths for the deck and limber details..

Ugh..

PS: Owen, Which ironclad is the one in question? Many ironclads had removable stacks; Both to clear low bridges in inland waterways, as well as removing during battle (leaving just a short trunk to keep water out). It could be if she's powering off only one set of boilers, she's left her other stack stowed.

Fritz K.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:06 pm 

Yeah, last minute alterations are a pain... always preceded by that dreaded phrase "Just one little thing..."

The ironclad in question was the CSS Manassas. Some accounts say she had two funnels, and others say one. There are no photos or real plans, just the general consensus that she was turtle-backed, had a gun on one end, a flag on the other and a smokestack (or stacks) in the middle.

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:54 pm 

Owen. As far as the Manassas is concerned, I'd stick to the contempory sketches. Harpers weekly made at least two of her, each showing only one stack on center. Unter Worlsley's command in her action against Richmond, He states that she lost her Smokestack" (singular) in the action.

Another view Made by a crew aboard the 'Hariet Lane" also shows one

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/imag ... h46620.jpg

Then throw in the sketch by Chalaron which is dimensioned. After a quick check, it proves to be to scale. She comes out to only 12.5 feet in beam which is a bit narrow for a side by side stack arrangement. A Draft of 14 ft, wl beam of 12.5 is consistent with proportions for tugs at the time.

Fritz K.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:23 pm 

Yeah, it was probably that. I've seen someone make a case for the double-stack option as well, but I can't remember what it was at the moment.

Keep us updated as things progress, looks like it's going to be interesting. Do the printers say if they prefer spline models over polygon meshes?

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:06 am 

Owen

I'm not sure if their machines can take spline objects. Maybe they can, but I only know of them accepting .stl meshes.

At any rate. I reworked the tolerances, and resubmitted the files. The only good thing about last weekends work is that it gave me a chance to make a few last minute corrections to the deck pattern based on some new photos I came across. particularly with the safety track in the fore and aft areas. We'll have to wait and see how it comes out in the end. Hopefully in the next week or so.

Attachment:
render8.jpg
render8.jpg [ 74.28 KiB | Viewed 2954 times ]

Attachment:
render7.jpg
render7.jpg [ 47.35 KiB | Viewed 2954 times ]

Attachment:
render6.jpg
render6.jpg [ 76.79 KiB | Viewed 2954 times ]

Fritz K.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:37 am 

That is some beautiful work there, the deck details especially. You'll have to show us the kit when it comes out.

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:31 am 

Excellent work Fritz, it looks great... I'm definitely interested in seeing the model when you get it, the more photos the better. :big_grin:

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:41 pm 

Yes!! it is done! The limber slots forward of the anchor well seem to have been lost due to the resoultion of the RP. But easily correctable physicaly with a scribe.

Photos here..
http://www.freetimehobbies.com/BRM-35002.aspx

Fritz K.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 pm 

It really turned out great Fritz, nice job all around. So what's next? :big_grin:

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 am 

Dean, I soooooooo wish I could show you! but it ay be a while before can get permission.

Where the Nautilus was historicaly significant. The next subject is just plain badass looking. (I actually finished the Cad model almost two years ago)...

Then there is what I'm working on right now. :heh:

Fritz K.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:13 pm 

Now your just teasing us Fritz, do tell. :big_grin:

-Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Impressive CAD work. I look forward to seeing more of your work make it into resin.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 am 

Congratulations on the USS Nautilus, Fritz. So fine!
Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:49 pm 

Thanks Tim and Micheal!

Hopefully the next one will be just as impressive..

Fritz K.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:16 am 

I´ve ordered it.
I hope it´s as good as the Gudgeon :thumbs_up_1:

Any plans of an 1/350 Barracuda, Skate, Seawolf, Triton, etc?

Saludos.

In the yard:
USS Gudgeon 1/350
Alfa 1/350
Queue:
Guppy II 1/350
Leonardo Da Vinci 1/350
Type 212 1/350
ARA Santiago del Estero 1/144
USS Nautilus 1/350
ARA San Juan 1/350
ARA Chiriguano 1/350