The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio Controllers Issues
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:45 pm 

When searching for a radio for my 'Tango' boat model, I went with a cheap one since I could not find a unit that truely did what I wanted it to be able to do. I needed individual control for two motors (forward and reverse), and a single rudder control for twin (linked) rudders. All that sounds fairly simple and straight forward, as far as motor control goes, but I needed full travel rudder control as well as being able to set the rudder(s) at a fixed position hard over to port or starboard.
Now I found in the programming that I could electronically link the motors together and use just one 'throttle' for both motors, for when just driving around, but when I wanted to maneuver and used individual motor control, the radio had no option to hold the rudder in one position.

So, are there any gurus out there that can help me with this issue? OR, do I need to explain it better?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:08 pm 

My radio, a FlySky FS-R6B, has 6 channels, but the real issue is the joystick / switch set up. And, I don't know if any other brand / unit has a better set up. From my limited checking, most 'boat' controllers have a throttle and a steering set up and that's it. That's why I went to a airplane controller.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:20 am 

There are many ways to set up a radio system.
The most common and basic is left stick up/down throttle, right stick left/right rudder.
For 2 motors, they can be connected to the same speed control, or separately via two ESC's.
To control each motor separately, they each need a channel. A common setup is left stick up/down throttle, right stick up/down throttle, left/right rudder.
Keep in mind that the left up down stick is ratcheted, while the right stick isn't.
There used to be radios available that had a twin left throttle stick for dual motor control, Ace Nautical Commander and Futaba F-14, but I don't think either are available anymore, although you might be able to find a twin gimbal stick you can install in your radio.

There are a variety of programming tricks that mix and reverse channels, but I'm not familiar with them as I don't feel any need to use them.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "I needed full travel rudder control as well as being able to set the rudder(s) at a fixed position hard over to port or starboard."
The stick gives full proportional control and you can set the travel distance within the servo limits. if you need the stick to stay full over by itself (taking your finger off it) you could take the internal return spring off, but then it becomes easy to bump.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:10 pm 

The transmitter is set up like a standard aircraft radio; left stick is ratcheted for up and down (Throttle) and sprung for left and right. the right stick is sprung for both up and down and left and right.
What I need is to be able to ratchet or spring any / all stick movement to configure it to my application, and I don't know of any transmitters that allow that. (or I need to grow another arm & hand!)
What I'd like is to have left stick set up for ratchet up and down and left and right, and the right stick set up for ratchet up and down, and sprung for left and right. This would allow individual throttle control and be able to 'set' the rudder hard over so I can 'walk' the boat sideways, like on the 1:1 scale real boat.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:49 am 

As far as I know, you would have to modify the mechanics of the gimbal. On the inside, you would have to add the ratchet gear and arm to each channel. I know some manufacturers make the gimbals universal, so as long as you can source the parts, you should be able to just install them. You’d have to pull the gimbal units out and see what’s there.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:32 pm 

Well, if you know transmitter manufacturers that do that . . . ante up Boss, I'm listening!

If I could find a manufacturer that custom configures the transmitters, or even semi-custom configures, that would probably be the key. Of course I'm not mentioning the fact that I'm also left-handed, which really doesn't help much. But I'm trainable, so there.

In order to duplicate the 1:1 scale model, I basically need both joysticks on ratchets for both up/down and left/right. That way, I could make the up/downs both throttles, and one of the left/rights the rudder. And then the stick(s) would stay where I put it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:05 pm 

You can purchase a variety of throttle gimbals here, https://shop.flysky-cn.com/collections/parts

Usually, only one direction is set up for throttle, but they are pretty cheap and you could get a couple and modify them for what you need.
I don't know how easy or hard it will be, but it can be done.

Report this post