The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:46 pm 

Hello,

I've been looking for Orion Class or King George V Class (the WWI version) hull plans. Specifically, drawings showing hull stations and lines (side, bow on, aft). Would anybody have any scans of drawings they could share or know of any references that I could be pointed towards? I've searched Google to death but with no luck. I have requested Burt's British Battleships of World War 1 through my local library but I don't know if it will contain anything like I'm looking for. The only thing I have seen are some RC Combat Ship plans in 1/144 scale offered for sale on the Taubman plans website (Loyalhanna Dockyard) but they are a little pricey to take a chance on so I wanted to check here in the forums first. Thank you very much for any information you have.

Sincerely,

Chris

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:03 pm 

Burt's book has some nice drawings and some sections but no lines. Many of the drawings cross two pages so they may not copy well. (I just looked at my copy)

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 am 

to have a idea of burt drawing you can see at
http://combrig-models.com/index.php/pro ... -1860-1918
and look at the ships of classes.
it is also a book in russian on the classes orion, kgv and iron duke
-http://www.morkniga.ru/p200617.html-
with lot of foto and all drawings of burt with some section of kgv but no orion sections.
i have this book and if you send me pm your e mail i can send you some drawing but no hull line.
it is also in some museum a beautiful model of orion, i have some foto and i can send you also
ciao peppe

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm 

Thanks Stevie and Peppe. I appreciate the heads-up about Burt's book!

Pepe, I sent a PM to you. Anything would be helpful and I appreciate your time very much.

I think what's tripping me up is that the Orion and KGVs are a little different than the preceding and following classes because they had that completely smooth top deck level from the bow to the forward main guns. If all else fails, maybe I could infer the lines from Robert's Dreadnought or Ross's Warspite books. The purpose of all this is to try and scratch build a lower hull to a Combrig HMS Monarch. I'd like to take it one step further and see about converting it to HMS Ajax, as built. I'm not a craftsman by any means though. If I was, then plans from the NMM at Greenwich would be great but cost and the actual plan sizes! are prohibitive for me at this time. The Thunderer book by Mowll is wonderful and inspiring in everything else, but you just see a small part of the hull plans when he demonstrates how he makes his frames.

Thank you all,

Chris

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:53 am 
If you are still looking for plans I have sections of Orion class from WW1 copied from the original plans. I don't have the whole set but have bits as a friend copied them for me many years ago. They are drawn to 1/96 scale and you are welcome to have copies.

I also have side and plan elevation of the as built ship at 1/192 scale.

I can e-mail them if you send me an e-mail address

Report this post