The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IJN Tachibana Class
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:57 am 

Hello.
I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with a dilemma I currently have in the early stages of the build of my 1/72 scale IJN Tachibana.
These are the 2 drawings I am working from which are ok but not really accurate when it comes to location of bulkheads etc for the hull.

I am hopeful that someone may have an unbuilt, IJN Tachibano kit that they can measure to give me the 2 measurements that I require to proceed. I can convert to 1/72 as long as I have the measurement and scale.
1) How many MM from tip of bow to the step down in the foredeck.
2) How many mm from the stern to the rear end of the Hulls bottom line. (where the straight line at the bottom of the keel ends and then kicks up towards the stern)
I realize this last one may be impossible which is ok as it is going to have to be very stand off anyway due to a lack of information with any scale dimensions to it.
I am going to have to rely on the many great 1/700th models in the Gallery for details. :)

The critical one for me at the moment is the foredeck from tip of Bow to step down. Hull profiles step down after #7 whereas if I use the Computer Gen Image it should be after #8 which is 60mm further along the keel.

If I can get this sorted I can place the last couple of bulkheads in place and start to clad it before Glassing it up.

I will start a build thread once I have got a bit further and am satisfied with the overall shape and dimensions of the hull. (Taking pics as I go for use later in build thread)

Thanks in advance

Tony

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: IJN Tachibana Class
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:04 pm 

Sometimes when plans are incomplete or ambiguous one has to fill in the blanks by estimating as best as possible, by whatever reasonable methods possible. In this case I'm not sure you'd get any better result working off measurements from a 1/700 scale model (only one I'm aware of for this type of vessel) vs. measuring carefully and taking proportions off existing pictures and drawings. The color sideview in your post looks quite acceptable to me, enlarge it to make it easier to work with, then take measurements off that and scale appropriately. If it's possible to cross-reference with the other drawings you have, then you can minimize some of the inherent "fudge factor" in doing things this way. It's just in the nature of scratchbuilding, in some instances one has to go with educated guesswork, tolerance for some inaccuracy, experience, and a bit of "artistic license" to get beyond what plans don't depict.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:55 am 

Understand fully and expect quite a bit of artistic license to take place due to shortfalls in information but that all adds to the fun of it. It will be a big change for me from building model car kits lol :)

When I am satisfied with the hull shape and it is glassed I will double up and get on and build a Kagero class destroyer (was going to build Yukikaze and actually glassed up a hull 15 years ago - now gone) not sure which ship yet as Yukikaze has been done to death. I do have a beautiful 2 sheet set of plans here for Yugumo so maybe her but first things first - Tachibana !!!

I have 5 more bulkheads to cut and fit to my build board for the bow plus fitting the #7/8 Bulkheads where the step-down roughly is. Will try to get these done on the weekend when I am home in actual daylight and can see what I am doing outside where I can't get shot by the Misery Police for making a mess. :)
Holes drilled and prop shafts are aligned, ctr keel slots in and is arrow straight so so far so good.
Slots for bilge keels are in bulkheads to allow me to place locating pins where they are going to be.

Cheers
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:38 pm 

Would be interested in seeing how the upcoming weekend's endeavors work out, looks like an exciting project.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:37 am 

Ok, downloaded the details, pics etc of IJN Nashi from Hobby Search which gave me a perfect view of the 1/700 Hull from on top and I was surprised to find that it came out at exactly what I have from the CGI image in my first post so time to get those last bulkheads in place.
Regards
Tony

Report this post