The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:29 pm 

Hi Folks,

New to the forum. There's all sorts of great info and inspiring builds, but don't see anyone has asked a question that I have.

Some background before the question: I am planning to build a 1/100 ro/ro carrier from scratch with the intention of r/c operation. I have built all sorts of things over the years, but this will be my first scratch built hull. At 1/100 the hull will be just over 74 inches long and 8.5 inches wide. The stations on the lines plan are roughly 3 inches apart, with closer spacing at bow and stern. My intention is to use plywood for the keel and frames, with frames based upon the lines plan stations (and perhaps add some intermediate frames as necessary fore and aft to ensure a good shape). I intend to plank/plate the hull with thin wood, and then cover it with fiberglass.

My question: What thickness plywood is suitable for the frames? 1/4 inch is readily available and also relatively inexpensive. Are there reasons to search out and use 1/8 inch ply for frames?

Thanks,

JDK

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:20 pm 

You might want to check out the Completed Builds [Fully Documented] section - the late ARH and Bill Waldorf go into the details of the material they choose for their ships, which are in scales similar to yours. A cursory look at their 1/96 builds suggests frames are 1/8" while the keel is 1/4", and plating at 1/8" or 1/16". That said, ARH's 1/96 North Carolina used 1/2" for the frames, so...

I don't recall them saying why those are chosen, but I suspect it'll be useful for keeping the weight down - easier to transport ballast separately if necessary.

Russ Clark's build of his 1/144 Graf Spee highlights an issue with using 1/4" - they're thick and difficult to cut, and complex curves may result in broken blades.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:46 pm 

Thanks, Timmy. I had looked through some of the previous build pages but must have missed the frame sizes--probably too in awe of the final products. 1/8" to 1/2" is quite a range.

JDK

Report this post