The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:55 am 

The Hull of my 1:192 Alaska (Waterline) is 100 % plastic sheet formed over plastic ribs and came out very well. Long after completing it I added some rigidity by adding non expanding foam to the interior. As noted above, there are many successful methods to cut the material, much depending on the thickness. Many of the larger items I cut from plexiglas, such as tower, stack, turrets etc, using a jigsaw. Two items when jigsawing any of these items, a slo sped is necessary and in some cases a lubricant such as vaseline etc on the blade will prevent melting of the plastic or plexi. The very thin materials can be cut with the very sharp tip of a #11 blade.

Yes, Ca will bond plastic nicely to a wood background as will epoxy which can be smoothly spread for complete coverage. Another material that should be considered is Strathmore artists papers such as Bristol board. I have some models with superstructure items made of this material with 100% durability. It is somewhat easier to set a curve to than styrene for bulwarks and gun tubs. It also is somewhat stiffer than an equal thickness of plastic. It works very well for instance for construction of inclined ladders and assembled in a jig with wood glue.

Good luck!

Report this post