The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/72 Railings
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:04 pm 
Great stuff posted here! :thumbs_up_1: What are you1/72 scale guys using for railings. Like to see some pics!

Chandler

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:07 am 

Evergreen plastic. Two bar railings have the top bar run on top of the stansions (sp?) and the middle bars are individual pieces.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:19 pm 

A guy at a model show told me his technique on a 1/72 Flower (the Snowberry kit), he got fed up of the kit ones snapping off and made them from thin fuse wire wound around a jig of three pins to form the receptors for the cables (bearing in mind the RN rarely use solid rails, only the stanchions are steel, the cross cables can be removed).

Taking it off the jig he then ran solder over the thing to make it look solid, if he accidently got solder in the cable guides he just punched them out with a hot needle.

The result looked solid, but would bend if hit and could just be tugged back up.

I am dreading doing the guard rails, I make a mess of them even on plastic kits, I might resort to buying them when it comes to it!

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:31 am 

I've scratchbuilt everything so far and only three things are left to figure out. One is the cable rails. I may be able to make masters for resin casting or I may have to buy them. Another is the legs for the cable reels. The other is the smoke candles. That will probably be done by making a master and having them cast. Already have done the life rafts and they are available through R&J Enterprises (they have a website). Rafts are basic and you have to make the floor with styrene. Working on casting a new lifeboat now. It's been a long trip and the end is near, I hope! :woo_hoo:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:09 am 

middle_watch wrote:
A guy at a model show told me his technique...

Ah! Now that's a good idea. Thanks - I'll log it for when the time comes! There is a paucity of fittings at 1/72nd scale, compared to the wealth of stuff the 1/96ers have.

Andy

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:01 pm 

True, but stanchions can be bought at 1/72, there is an ad in the back of Model Boat for a company that do them, I don't have a copy with me but will dig out the addres if want it. Also did portholes and watertight doors.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: 1/72 Railings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:50 am 
I am building an 1/72 Ratte by Modelcollect. That "landcruiser" needs railings not included in the kit. After some dilligent net browsing, I came up with this company which makes quality stanchions. Price ain't anything near steep, either.

https://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog ... Ships.html

Joona

Report this post