The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RC questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:56 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Hello,

As I am still searching for RC equipment for my first RC test, I got a few more questions...

First, I noticed that there are sets for different bands, 27, 35 and 40 MHz usually... any difference there for a practical end-user?

Second, any online resources covering how to do a selfmade speed control unit? Electronic one... I think I have no problems to build one if I have a plan... done it for model railroad units many times....

Third, any guide how to install rudder and prop shafts watertight?

As a test model I selected a HMCS Snowberry which I built about 10 years ago and which took a lot of damage while moving to a new flat.. Will be disassembled, RCed and rebuilt... Shall be large enough hull for the tests, before I go to much smaller Titanic 1/700 and 1/160 Paddle wheeler Goethe, which I promised to build for a fellow N-track model railroader who has a 10x10 N-track installation with a virtually real river (pump making a scale-speed waterflow) ;o)

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:37 pm 

Petros,

The Radio frequencies are intended for different users like aeroplanes usually on 35 MHz, Boats on 40 MHz but I'm not sure what regulations apply in Germany - you would need to check.

I used to make my own speed controllers but the prices have fallen so much that it isn't really worthwhile at least in UK! I m sure that there are plans, probably using the programmable PICs, available from the electronic magazines but this site isn't really the best one for that - I would suggest asking the same question at Model warships Underway which you will find on the Links page on this site. They will also be beter at getting an answer on prop tubes etc. also the radio frequencies I suspect.

The Snowberry is a much more practical proposition for a first kit to run - good luck!

Francis macnaughton

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:15 pm 

Hi Petros ,

1. I think the frequency for model boats in Germany is 40 Mhz . Whatever frequency you use , be sure you do not infringe your local laws :eyebrows:

2. R/Cing Snowberry is a very good idea , there is plenty of room in this hull , and about the ESC's , just buy some , the prices are getting down with the years , count about 50 € for a very good one , able to sustain 10 to 15 Amperes under 12 Volts , this should be enough for the motor you'll put in there ...

3. to avoid water getting in your model while "at sea" , you'll have to put grease in your propeller and rudder tubes . With very well machined prop shafts , some modellers use oil instead of grease ; I always use a vegetable grease in my shafts , I dont want to pollute the pond I'm sailing on , there are ducks & geese sailing on that water too ( some modellers put motor oil in their shafts , or even worse , they put that :censored_2: stinking gearbox oil in there )

with grease , you put some at the beginning of the sailing season , and you're good for the whole year , but with oil , you'll have to put some each time you put your model into the water , can be annoying when you have no or little access ... :surfer:

Regards ,

Laurent

Just call me the "Cereals Box Killer" , I guess :big_grin:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:18 am 

Hi PetrOs,

in Germany you need 40MHz remote controls. A good choice for shipmodellers is the Robbe Futaba F-14 or computerized F-16 which can carry a "Navy-Stick" instead of the left control-stick. This is a throttle to control two motors and maybe run one forward and one backward to turn.

At ebay.de you will get sets at a fair price.

http://www.marine-forum.de - Das Kaiserliche Marineforum

Currently Building: SM TrpBt B-110, SM TrpBt S-37
Upcoming: SMS Derfflinger

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:16 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Thanks guys!
As it looks now, I will get the following for the Snowberry: (all from conrad)
Modelcraft RC 3 channel 40Mhz Link
, 39.90 euro. Trottle, steering, and lighting on-off I suppose (or day/night lighting...)
For a ESC I will likely get one of the 20-euro Modelcraft ESCs (380 or 540, looks like they only differ in connector)

For propulsion, would you guys select a ready motor+gear+shaft solution, or rather a low-RPM-motor+shaft+screw? In second case, would I need a reduction gear? How many RPM should I have at the shaft without a load?

Also, for steering, would you build it yourself or take a ready solution (7-9 euro , like this), and just put on your "own" rudder?

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

Report this post