The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:18 am 

HMS Indefatigable WW2 Scratch Build

Hi everyone,

My grandfather was stationed on the HMS Indefatigable in WW2 and I thought it would be a fun project to make a model of this ship.

After some online research I can’t find an existing plastic kit for the Indefatigable or any Implacable aircraft carriers so I figured I would make this from scratch.

I have made numerous models before and have some woodcarving experience so figured I could try to make a solid hull version of the ship from basswood.

I ordered some original home front model plans which I thought would be a good start and have lots of photo references.

However I thought I’d log on to here to ask the experts whether they had any advice for someone who is just getting started on this.

I’ve looked for specific pre-made parts that might make the build easier (eg propellers) but not sure where best to source them.

It would also be great to know any specific tools that you think would be invaluable for this build.

Any advice no matter how small is gratefully appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 am 

DavidP wrote:
what scale? could use Heller's 1/400 scale model of the aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious to kitbash into HMS Indefatigable which I'm thinking of doing.

That is a good thought. I was thinking 1/400 would be a nice size.

Perhaps I could do most of the scratch build and use this for the detail pieces?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:53 am 

DavidP wrote:
what scale? could use Heller's 1/400 scale model of the aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious to kitbash into HMS Indefatigable which I'm thinking of doing.

The greatest difference (from modeler's point of view) between the Indefatigable and the preceding Illustrious seems to be the hull having been lengthened by 20 feet, plus another 6'6" added somewhere around bow and/or poop.
ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implacable-class_aircraft_carrier

The twenty feet of the hull should be added in the middle at the widest point of the hull. In 1/400 it accounts for 15.24 mm (or 0.6 inch)

Report this post