The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:27 am 

Hi everybody,

Hoping to tap into some of the experience on this forum, I am halfway (Conservatively) through building a 1/32 Acushnet, which is a 2m long twin screw USCG vessel, all up weight shouls be about 20kg, I am looking for a nice scale speed, not planning on trying to skim across the pond here!

I was planning to use a pair of MFA800's direct drive, and just wondered if that's going to be enough, too much, downright laughable, or anywhere else on the scale? The props are 4 blade 90mm.

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated, I had wondered about using Makita or Delwat drill motors but I don't know much about them.

Happy moddelling all, stay safe.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:32 am 

I know this is a difficult subject, I have been doing a lot of research and think I have the answer.

According to the math on one website I need at least 80w per shaft of power, give or take, so a pair of 100w motors would be fine, I have found some 12v motors, rated at about 2300rpm and 100w, £40 for a pair.

Hopefully this would help anyone else who's struggling, they're pretty easy to find once you work ot what you're after!

Report this post