The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reducing plans
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:57 am 

Hi All
I have a couple of questions about ships plans. First, could anyone tell me how to reduce a set of 1/200 to 1/700? Second, maybe some one could explain to me why different companies produce a kit of the same ship in the same scale and they turn out to be a different size. I plan to scratch build the main deck of a battleship and I have the 1/200 plans which I would like to reduce to 1/700 but I'm not sure if the actual model is exactly 1/700 and I'd like the plans when they are reduced to match the kit. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Mark Pfaff

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:37 am 
I suggest you get in touch with your most trusted local copy shop and tell them about your task.

On one hand you may calculate the reduction ratio (by percent) - in your case I think 28.57 % is correct.

I experienced that it may be better to show them on the drawing the two points (bow and stern) and tell them which lenght the downscaled drawing should have and let them then calculate for themselves.

If there is an existing hull you want the deck to fit to, then measure the given length and let the copy shop reduce your deckplan to the suitable size. Crosscheck the reduced plan at the copy shop and use YOUR ruler you measured the hull with!

Report this post