The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:44 pm 
Hi there,

I’m trying to track down some plans for SS Alicante (sister ship SS Castellon).

Alicante was a cargo ship built in 1934 by Deutsche Werft A. G., Betrieb Finkenwärder, Hamburg. She was part of the convoy that transported AFVs of Panzer Regiment 5 from Naples, Italy to Tripoli, Libya in March 1941. She was sunk in Piraeus Harbour, Greece two months later. (https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?134639)

So far I’ve contacted the Internationales Maritimes Museum Hamburg (https://www.imm-hamburg.de/) in an effort to get a hold of plans but no dice.

Although I’m not new to model making by any stretch I am a total newb when it comes to scratch building ships and the search for plans etc. On that note, I would be really grateful for any suggestions on how I might be able to track down the plans I’m after as I’m pretty much flying blind right now! :heh:

Thanks for reading!

Alex

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:58 pm 

Sorry the question above is from me (it seemed to post without logging me in)

Attachments:
BE06F33C-5B90-4E80-BC6C-F870592AE479.jpeg
BE06F33C-5B90-4E80-BC6C-F870592AE479.jpeg [ 46.23 KiB | Viewed 924 times ]
DAE3FEE7-D615-4D0C-87E5-4ACB253F3085.jpeg
DAE3FEE7-D615-4D0C-87E5-4ACB253F3085.jpeg [ 72 KiB | Viewed 924 times ]
106ECC4D-4B7F-4EE0-89DE-ECA1CFBF2E10.jpeg
106ECC4D-4B7F-4EE0-89DE-ECA1CFBF2E10.jpeg [ 386.74 KiB | Viewed 924 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:33 am 
Alex,

You may need to think little more "vertically/laterally" with this one. The builders of ALICANTE merged with Howaldtswerke to become Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft in 1968. The yard at Finkenwerder was closed in 1985. The company operates from Kiel and is now a subsidiary of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems. Provided that the drawings of the ship survived allied action during WW2, the company at Kiel might have them in its archive. I suggest that you write/e-mail them: in German if you are able to.

Details of the ship can be found in Volume 7 of Gröner's "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe 1815 - 1945" (German language book) but there is no small scale drawing in the book.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:11 am 

Guest wrote:
Alex,

You may need to think little more "vertically/laterally" with this one. The builders of ALICANTE merged with Howaldtswerke to become Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft in 1968. The yard at Finkenwerder was closed in 1985. The company operates from Kiel and is now a subsidiary of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems. Provided that the drawings of the ship survived allied action during WW2, the company at Kiel might have them in its archive. I suggest that you write/e-mail them: in German if you are able to.

Details of the ship can be found in Volume 7 of Gröner's "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe 1815 - 1945" (German language book) but there is no small scale drawing in the book.

Thanks so much for the help - Much appreciated! :big_grin:

The Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft website (http://www.hdw.de/) seems unresponsive so I'll try the ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems one instead (https://www.thyssenkrupp-marinesystems.com/en). My good friend and business partner is a German native so I'll ask her to kindly translate my email request into German :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks for the heads up on the book too - I managed to find a copy.

Cheers,

Alex

Report this post