The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:00 pm 

I would love to do a 1/350 scratchbuilt model of the USS Saugatuck AO75. I've tried the obvious places like Floating Drydock and WEM and no go. Much to my surprise, a relevantly numerous and famous ship class has no plans available, well none that I can find so far. Web searches advise searching out the US National Archives, which unfortunately are not a quick trip into town for me here in New Zealand. Can anyone point me in the right direction to buy plans or assist in some way? :scratch:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:44 am 

Is this any help?

http://www.t2tanker.org/

Cheers,

Rob

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:05 pm 

Thanks Rob,
I've followed up with a contact off that site, to see if anyone can assist. I had actually viewed the old version of the same page http://www.t2tanker.org/ships/t2tanker.html where under the heading "Drawings and Plans" it says "Also, please note that I do not have any drawings or plans for these or any other ships. My best suggestion is to contact the National Archives to request plans or drawings. You can find the National Archives at http://www.nara.gov.

Once more into the breach :D

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:36 pm 

Update: Plans found. I contacted Renee at Loyal Hanna Dockyard and I was pointed in the direction of a set of plans Part number 323 at 1/384 scale for $8.00. They are described as having a plan, profile and sectional views and should be enough for the task of a scratch build. :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:29 pm 

Not sure of the actual ship, but this might or might not be of interest to you: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0176822127

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:08 pm 

I know the chairman of the Danish Model Taskforce group also called Big gun warship combat. is having a set of the plans you want.. feel free to ask him, he´s a real nice guy.

He´s name is Markus Andersen. mailadress is : markus@dmtg.dk

regards
Harley
Denmark

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:59 am 

I have some pretty good photos of the Navy version of the T-2 Tanker USS Hasiampa AO 145, showing it at sea along side of our ship and some shots of the gun emplacements. Some I took while aboard a Carrier in 1958 through 1962. The ship is the same as the civilian model but with the added gun tubs. I also have a Navy version built in 1:350 scale (Plastic) and some pretty good detailing on it.
My email is dpflynn@sbcglobal.net and I will send you all the info I have if you give me your email to send it to.
Dennis Flynn, Howell MI.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:43 am 

Thanks for that contact Harley. I will follow it up.

Thanks for the offer of photo's Dennis. Inbound email coming your way.
:thumbs_up_1:
Terry

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:08 pm 
I was on the USS Saugatuck just before she was scrapped in Chesapeake VA. I bought lots of stuff off of her including her complete Helm setup. 500 + pounds of solid brass. Real shame they could not save her. I too would like to build a 1/350 model of her. Maybe we can work together. pwdiben@nc.rr.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:14 pm 
You can buy some plastic T2 models that I think are 350 scal (or close), the Hawiian Pilot is one. Just add Navy Grey and you will be close. I actually sailed the USNS Saugatuck in 1970 as a Cadet Engineer. To this day she remains one of my favorite ships. It was sad to photos of her at James River, she was in top shape when I served on her. For a tanker she had quite a history.

Jim

Report this post