The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:58 pm 
Hi

I m going to use an existing hull (1/700 waterline) to do another ship (Cargo ship).
I know i m going to need styrene sheets and after market parts but it’s not easy to find tutorials for ships.

I have put styrene kits together off and on for years. I got all the basic tools for this.

I have no clue where to start but i will figure it out one part at a time.

I just need pointers but don’t make it complicated to start please. Exact replica is not my goal.

Thanks

Pat
(I m in the USA if it matters)

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:54 pm 

Pat,
Beside the normal basic tools. I would recommend a digital caliper, northwest shortline chopper ii, and small squares or minature drafting triangles. These helped me make sure that my parts were cut the same length and assembled square. Harbor Freight has some reasonable priced calipers and you can find the chopper and squares on MicroMark's catalog or website. Umm (I think that is right) has some squares and blocks as well. Highly recommend "the book "ship models from kits" by David Griffith. ,
Dave7

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:10 pm 

dhenning wrote:
Pat,
Beside the normal basic tools. I would recommend a digital caliper, northwest shortline chopper ii, and small squares or minature drafting triangles. These helped me make sure that my parts were cut the same length and assembled square. Harbor Freight has some reasonable priced calipers and you can find the chopper and squares on MicroMark's catalog or website. Umm (I think that is right) has some squares and blocks as well. Highly recommend "the book "ship models from kits" by David Griffith. ,
Dave7

Dave7

Thanks so much. Do you buy most supplies at micromark?
I need a good source to buy styrene of any kind.
Great book recommendation.

Thxs a lot

Pat

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm 

Pat,
Yes, I have ordered from MicroMark several times. They have several tools that are hard to find other places. I use a metal tray that I bought at the dollar store as a work platform and hold various squares, blocks, and other items with magnets when gluing up various box shapes or other things that I am trying to square up. You can get some good square magnets at home centers or Harbor Freight.

Here is a handy item that I found at UMM at the IPMS Nationals in Omaha last year:
http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_ ... ts_id=5579

If you have a Hobbytown USA near you, they usually have a rack of Evergreen styrene. Sheets, tubes, strips, rods, shapes. You'll end up needing several different ones when kitbashing. Several online hobby shops have them as well and you can find them on Ebay also. Hobbylobby stores even have a limited stock of Evergreen strips and brass tubes/wires. Hobbytown USA will have a better selection of those. You'll want the fine brass wire and tubes for masts, davitts, and various pipes.

A good, cheap source of styrene sheets is For Sale signs or similar at your local WalMart or home center. The ones that I have found are 0.015" thick and are cheap. I usually cut the pieces that I need to size and then run the cut pieces over a rough sanding stick in order to remove or score up the paint on the face of the sign in order to make a better gluing surface.

Somewhere I found a small drafting type set for school use. It has a 3" 30/60/90 triangle, a 3" 45 triangle, and a smaller protractor. I use these for layout work, but not in the gluing jig since they are plastic.

I am always on the hunt for tools to make these tasks easier!

Good luck and good hunting!
Dave Henning
Redfield, Ark.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:26 am 

dhenning wrote:
Pat,
triangle, and a smaller protractor. I use these for layout work, but not in the gluing jig since they are plastic.

I am always on the hunt for tools to make these tasks easier!

Good luck and good hunting!
Dave Henning
Redfield, Ark.

Excellent post, you saved me from reading 3 books!

Thxs

Pat

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:20 pm 

Glad to help! I've learned a lot from the other members here.

Report this post