The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:22 am 

yeah man i think this solved now.
i work with design and so many years... and sure for me is easy reduce or enlarge proportions. no problem.
well, i am waiting by updated pics of your buildings ok?? :thumbs_up_1:
best regards
Norberto

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:28 am 

i am thinking about that- a book with small pics to open fast references of model.
but every thing takes me time....... :doh_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 am 

A problem you should be aware of is that not all printers produce accurate scaling. I used a HP LaserJet 4 for many years, and if I created a CAD drawing and printed it 1:1 scale, it came out accurate to within 1/600 inch (0.042 mm) (the print resolution was 600 dpi or 23.6 dots per mm).

Later I bought a HP 2550 color laser printer, and was very disappointed to discover that it printed undersize. To get it to print a 1:1 scale drawing I have to enter a scaling factor of 1.0041. It doesn't sound like much but that is 0.041" (1.04 mm) error in 10 inches (254 mm), and it is very noticeable. For a 1:350 model that error scales to 14 inches (36.45 cm)!

Whatever printer you use (home or print shop) I recommend that you print a test scale just to be sure it prints accurately.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:24 pm 
Question;
We are doing a feasibility study on building the Schachtschiff F Ersatz Hannover, known as the Bismark, as she departed from Gotenhafen in May 19, 1941.
We have reviewed a number of scale replicas of this Battleship in the scale of 1:100. They are absolutely brilliant.
We are thinking of reproducing this ship in a 1:50 scale.
Roughly speaking, she would be roughly 8 feet long, and 3 1/2 feet wide. ( I believe)...
In addition, we would like to craft this out of wood, it will be propelled, and the lights and all the turrets will be fully functional.
Does this sense make to anybody, on this forum?
Or are we chasing a lost dream?
Please let us know.
Thanks.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:26 pm 

There have been people who've made even larger replicas, so I think it's definitely an achievable dream, if you have the skills, time, and resources!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:38 am 

Hello Jumpy Bob
I see you would like to build a 1:50 scale Bismarck.
It will come out at 16.43 feet long 2.36 feet wide in 1:50.
I have handled the original plans for the Blohm and Voss model and they are very big plans indeed.
good luck in your venture.

Philip

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:29 pm 
This is my second attempt to post a reply to this forum.
I probably wrote something out of line on the previous attempt, although I can not image what that was.
If this post is rejected, I am at a total lose.
To begin;
Thank you Timmy C for your response. We now understand the true dimension of our contemplated project by the following post of yours, from Kiwimedic.
To short form, I understand that Kiwimedic is a part of a crew, currently working on a very similar project, that is 1:72 scale.

During our investigation into building a 1:50 scale of the Bismark, we have had a number of interested potential sponsors, and buyers, that would like to see our project complete.
The question is why are you building your scale Bismark?
Without going into any great detail as to why we are looking into building ours, I am curious as to your motivation.
Thanks.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 pm 

Bob, just FYI, posts from an unregistered user (i.e., "guest") require manual approval from a moderator before it will appear on the board - not sure if that's what you were referring to, but that's what it is.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:18 am 

Bob
I am the only one working on the Bismarck in 1:72.
1.I chose 1:72 scale because I like large scale models and have mainly built in 1:72.
2.I have already built Hood in 1:72.
3.It is probably the largest sized model that I can handle completely on my own.
4. When on the water it does not look too small and it acts realisticly in almost any weather.

I have handled the one and only set of original Blohm and Voss modellers plans for Bismarck in 1:50 and it is just too big for me to handle by myself.
Philip

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:25 pm 

Thank you Philip.
We are, indeed, more impressed now, knowing that you are on this project on your own.
I apologize for assuming that you are a part of a crew.
Truly a rewarding, and monstrous, undertaking on your behalf.
Our feasibility study continues.
Thanks.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:44 am 

All in this thread
May I ask everyone who's plans are you using?

Hans Galley?
Nick Fox?
someone else?

Whos drawings are the most accurate in your opinions.

I am using Fox drawings.
Nick did what sgtmac wanted for me. He took a lot of the fittings and unnecessary bits from the superstructure so that I could see it clearly.
I have found them the best so far.
I will have original drawings of Bismarck soon.
Philip

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:10 pm 

Kiwimedic,

I have been waiting for a response to your question on this forum.
I will give you what I have, so far. It is not much at all.

Jack Brower wrote a book named the Battleship Bismark. In this book, there are rough 150 pages of, 1/500 scale, fold out plans.
Although very small, we can have our printer enlarge them for us.
I do not know of the other names that you refer to. I will dig some more.

On topic, you have referred to handling a set of drawings of the Bismark from Blohm and Voss.
This appears to be rather important. Can you explain to me why that is?
I thought getting the drawings was the easy part... Maybe not...

Thanks.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:49 pm 

Bob
I have studied Bismarck for a number of years.
I do not consider myself an expert but know enough to say...................

Jack brower is a respected expert on Bismarck.
It is known that there are many versions of Bismarck drawings in the world.
It is considered that the most accurate sets of drawings available are either Hans Galley or Nick Fox versions.
Nick's drawing are of the full size Bismarck ............ they are stored in a 1:1 scale. I know that either of these gentlemen update their drawings any time new information comes to hand. These updates are only done if supported by photographs or some other other evidence.

Once you have a set of drawings together you need to gather as many photos of bismarck as you can. These are the only truly accurate information for the ship. Be very careful that you do not end up with photos of Tirpitz ....................... both very different so called sister ships.

I have handled the only set of Blohm and voss drawings of the Bismarck model. they reveal a lot of information. You must still be a skeptic because the model and the actual ship have many differences but there is a full list of fittings and very accurate clues to there sizes and placement on the ship.
I was also stunned to view the genuine fabrication and supply drawings of things like the catapult that were actually on the Bismarck.
These are but a few genuine drawings I have seen.
I am always on the hunt for information. After a good set of drawings, you need to get as many photos as you can. There are some very good internet sights about Bismarck, full of information.
Books are an absolute must!
I would go for a set of drawings in 1:100 and scale from there.
I do not like your chances of accurate enlargement form 1:500.
Anyway .......... food for thought!

Philip

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:05 pm 

Philip,

I agree with everything that you have replied. And I thank you.

The Tirpitz, being the sister ship of the Bismark, was built after the Bismark, and included many upgrades that the shipyard learned from building the initial Bismark ship. Included were a number of upgrades that were developed and redeveloped, over time. Not withstanding, the outright size, and displacement.

The the weird thing about all of this is, although the Tirpitz would be the ship to build to scale, we are all stuck on building the Bismark, to scale. You repeatedly have referred to handling a set of drawings of the Bismark, in 1:50 scale, from Blohm and Voss. If I may ask, where are these drawings now? This is important.

We have made initial contacted with Blohm and Voss, to see if we can secure a copy of these drawings. We all agree this is not looking too good, to get a positive reply.

In addition, it is our intent to secure the drawings of the multiple refits that the Bismark had received, before she left Gotenhafen, May 19, 1941. And again, we believe there there is a fat chance of that happening.

To summarize, it is this Company's intent to reproduce the Schlachtsciff 'F', denoted as, 'Hannover", and christened, 'Bismark', in a 1:50 scale, as accurately as humanly possible, when she departed Gotenhafen, on May 19, 1941.

During our search, if we find any information on the Bismark, that is relevant to both our pursuits, we will be happy to share it with you.

Finally, it would be my absolute honor to share a bottle of Bourbon, a bottle of Scotch, and a couple of Beers, with you. If we were ever to meet up.

Our feasibility study has been completed. Unless we get a negative response from Blohm and Voss, we are going to build the Bismark, in 1:50 scale.

Now the fun begins...

Thank you very much Philip.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:57 am 

Hi Bob
I doubt very much you will hear much from Blohm and Voss.
I have a close German friend who told me it took him nearly a year to get them to admit to them having built Bismarck.
There is a lot of stigmatism attached to anything WWII in Germany.
The 1:50 drawings are not owned by Blohm and Voss. They are plans of the model and they are the only model ones in exhistence. They are not available to anyone.
If you want a set of plans from that time Fox or Galley is the best way to go.
where are you from?

Philip

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:17 am 

Philip,

Thank you kindly for the info. Very interesting.

Located in Ontario, Canada.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:31 pm 

Last edited by ingura on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:46 pm 

I have endeavored to e-mail ingura, and kiwimedic, for followup responses to the previous information that is posted.
I have not received any replies in the last couple of days, and I openly wonder if my e-mails were received.

To update this topic of discussion, for our construction of the Bismark, in 1:50 scale, we have planned to lay the Keel plates at the end of October, 2010.

The delay is to gather more information, first and foremost. In addition, we are currently on a project that will be completed at the beginning of October. This will give us time to reorganize the warehouse, and build the appropriate sub structure to handle the construction of the new project.

Our discussion now revolves around the building material that we will use to build. As of right now, Aluminum plate has been proposed as the best solution, to mimic the metal plate used on the original Ship.

Does anyone have any additional information that could steer this proposal in a different direction, as it relates to the materials used?

For accounting and logistics purposes, all our projects are named, I have temporarily named our project, B-ship1941.

Does anyone have a better ideas for a name?

During our pursuit of information, we have come across a number of individuals that are interested in helping us with our project. The cornerstone being a retired ship builder, that is very familiar with construction of German Battleships of that era. ( He, being retired, and schooled in Germany, does have a firm grasp of what we are trying to achieve).

We intend to update our progress over the internet, however the means of which, has not been decided at this time.

Everyone's input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:30 pm 

Last edited by ingura on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:43 pm 

Thank you very much Peter.

Report this post