The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for Bill
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:00 pm 

What kind of glue do you use for styrene? Ive tried CA with no luck. Let me know if you can what glue I should or shouldn't be using. Please. Im asking you because you have the best grasp for working with this stuff.

Oh! should I have lightly sanded the spots to be glued? Could it be just a simple matter of the styrene being too smooth to bond to another peice?

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:02 pm 

I remember Bill typing that he uses Testors liquid cement. So I guess your regular plastic-kit cement would work too.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:06 pm 

Ah! ok. Im not using regular model glue Timmy. Im using contact adhesive from Great Planes. This stuff bonds in 15 seconds on everything else but seems to take an hour on styrene. Go figure. Maybe Ill try the testors stuff.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:11 pm 

well thats another reason your CA doesn't work... Great Planes has horrible CA. My local hobby shop started carrying them AND charges more now (most likely cuz its name brand), but Great Planes is a very poor quality glue. try a different CA.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:32 pm 

For styrene the "liquid weld" glues work best for me. Just the plain old testors cement in the black square bottle with the thin needle applicator. For my rc pt boat I used that stuff all over and nothing even looks remotely like it's loosening up. For attaching the white metal cannon to the styrene deck I used some rubberized ca from Loyalhannah, stuff is very strong and absorbs vibration. I also have a bottle of ca from loyalhannah that actually says it is for joining plastic but I've had no need to open it yet so can't speak for how well it works, but Don apparently carries a few specialty ca glues. Those I mentioned he included in a running gear order for no charge.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:47 pm 

To let you know Bill might not be answering because of the ice storm we had here in West Michigan lots of homes with out power for the last 2 1/2 days.Hasn't been a lot of fun brrrrrrrr.
Rod

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:59 pm 

Ouch! Looks like that weather could be coming my way then. Mich, Ohio, then Pens and York seems to get hit all in a line.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:10 am 

Hold strong guys. Hope you all make it through!

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:20 am 

TommyL wrote:
Ouch! Looks like that weather could be coming my way then. Mich, Ohio, then Pens and York seems to get hit all in a line.

Nah, at least not my region. We got hit with the cold front.... a BLOODY FREEZING cold front....but not much snow. at 5 in the morning yesterday it was coming down so thick i could only see 2 feet in front of me (if you can count that since snow kept blowing in my eyes). We've had 60 mph winds all weekend... and within 2 hours (mind you, 2 hours i was outside working) the temperature dropped 12 degrees. with windchill, below zero.

i'd rather have snow than freezing cold winds.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Question for Bill
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:29 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

TommyL wrote:
What kind of glue do you use for styrene? Ive tried CA with no luck. Let me know if you can what glue I should or shouldn't be using. Please. Im asking you because you have the best grasp for working with this stuff.

Oh! should I have lightly sanded the spots to be glued? Could it be just a simple matter of the styrene being too smooth to bond to another peice?

I use Testors Model Master liquid cement for the styrene areas. A light sanding of the styrene is good before gluing, helps with adhesion. For bonding wood to styrene, use a good quality medium viscosity super glue (CA). And yes, the bad weather here knocked me off line for 4 days. I am now back and running normally! Stay Tuned!! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:04 pm 

Thanks Bill. I figured to ask you because of your extensive use of styrene on the Indy. If I remember right the Wolverine was mostly this building material..........that had to be expensive after a while.

Report this post
 Post subject: glue for styrene
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:14 pm 

I use Tamiya extra thin cement which is pretty good but has a bit of an odor. I really like Tenax 7R with a thin paintbrush. Pacer also makes something called "Poly-Zap" which is CA for plastic. Hope this helps!

Report this post