The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 pm 

Hi,
I`m new to the forum and attempting my first scratchbuilt model ship. I~ve built plenty of kits, but haven`t tried this yet. I live near the LST memorial in Evansville Indiana and have decided to try my hand at a 1/72 scale version of the LST 325. Having it local will give me the chance to see it up close. I intend to donate it once completed, provided it comes out well enough.
Here is my problem and question.
I obtained a set of plans for the class ship. They are in PDF form and the scale on them is 1/8 inch = 1 foot. I need to figure out how to print them out to get a size of 1/72. I realize they need to be enlarged a certain percentage, but what percentage is where I am stuck as PDF`s are new to me.
Also, it has 40mm twin guns and 40mm single guns mounted on it as well as 20mm ones. Any suggestion on who makes 1/72 scale guns and mounts of that type?
Thanks for the help in advance,
Lewis

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:08 pm 

According to my rusty math, you would have to print them out at 133.28% (1/6 divided by 1/8)

For 1/72 fittings, go to http://www.floatingdrydock.com/fittings.htm#72 Tom sells H-R Fittings.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:21 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have been able to do the conversion, but it just kept stumping me. I will give the printout that percentage and give it a shot. Thanks for the link to the fittings.
Lewis

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:01 pm 

I have to admit that my PC's calculator accessory helped a bit

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:00 am 

my thanks to your computer and calculator too :smallsmile:

In printing it at the size you came up with it looks to be right. I will be reviewing plans for several days to come up with a plan to move forward with the build. Thanks again for the help and link to get parts, HR loos like they`ll have everything I need.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:24 am 

Hello Lewis,

lapalmer1969 wrote:
Hi,
I live near the LST memorial in Evansville Indiana and have decided to try my hand at a 1/72 scale version of the LST 325.
I obtained a set of plans for the class ship. They are in PDF form and the scale on them is 1/8 inch = 1 foot.
Lewis

I also would like to scratchbuild a 1/72nd LST.
I got some plans from the french "Service Historique de la Défense".
Can you tell me where you got your plans from?

Best regrads,

Dom

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:34 pm 

I am sure there are more detailed plans available, but I found mine at this site:

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/lst983.pdf

Since scratchbuilding ships is new to me I am not exactly sure where to find more in depth ones. I had found the link to the hnsa site and searched them from there. My LST will not be detailed inside, ie compartments, etc. so I am only worried about getting the hull correct and above deck details. These plans at the above site seem to have enough to go by for that.

Hope this helps. If you need any specific pictures of the LST let me know. It is only 10 mins from my house so I could shoot over there and get some shots if you need help.
Lewis

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:20 am 

lapalmer1969 wrote:
I am sure there are more detailed plans available, but I found mine at this site:
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/lst983.pdf

Ha yes, I forgot I had that address too.

Here are the link to the french official drawings:
1- the full list of ships for which drawings exist on the site
http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defens ... tebato.php

2- a generic(?) LST (2) 1943, general arrangements very similar to LST 325
http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defens ... php?id=330
One drawing is for the hull lines which is very useful.

3- LST 802 Hamilton County (1952)
this one does not have an elevator but a ramp between the main deck and the tank deck (542 class)
http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defens ... php?id=455
There are cross section drawings that could help.

There are other drawings but for other classes of LST's, Their general arrangements are not applicable for this LST 325.

The drawings are free access and download (tiff format + a pdf file for a description... in french!)

lapalmer1969 wrote:
If you need any specific pictures of the LST let me know. It is only 10 mins from my house so I could shoot over there and get some shots if you need help.
Lewis

I thank you for this offer. I really might be interested :thumbs_up_1:

Best regards,

Dom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:43 pm 

No problem, and thanks for the links, I will get my printer reloaded with ink and ready to work. Just let me know if you need pics, glad to help :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:19 pm 

Something I was noticing on pictures of the ship in war time, in particular, normandy. I am not seeing and of the 40mm gun tubs or the center 40mm over the doors in a protective ring as it has now. I`m wondering if these additions came after or if I am just not seeing the pics at the right angle. The gun is there, I just don`t see the steel ring around it. Since I am building mine as she was in normandy, I`m wanting to be sure. Any ideas? I may talk with the veterans at the 325 and see if they know but thought I`d mention the question here.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 pm 

Hi Lewis,

I'm not an authority on LSTs, but I think you'll find that what you're seeing is the evolution of weapons on the 325 over the course of 50-plus years. During the war, many ships were initially armed with single 40mms (like those shown in photos of the 325 at Normandy.) Dual or quad-40mms weren't available in large quantities, so priority was given to arming the carriers, battlewagons, and destroyers with them, especially after the Navy was shocked by the kamikaze attacks in the Pacific. When ships did get outfitted with dual or qual 40mms, they had an associated gun director installed as well. What you see on the modern-day 325 I believe are post-war mods, where the ship was fitted with dual 40mms and gun director, and the forwardmost gun tub was elevated. I suspect the elevated bow gun tub was probably a lesson learned from the war; they most likely found they needed to have the gun higher so that it could depress further for closer targets or something like that.

NavSource is a great site for ship photos. You might have already been there, but just in case you haven't:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/16/160325.htm

Good luck with your model. Sounds like a real challenge and I'm looking forward to seeing it!

John
:smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:04 am 

I suspected it was just an evolution of sorts as time went on with lessons learned. I wasn`t aware there would have been a shortage of weapons and such during the war, but it makes sense, as well as which ships would have priority to them as they became available.

I`ll check out nav source, I think I`ve visited it, but bookmarked your link to be sure. I am planning to keep a photo log of my build, so I`ll be posting them as I go. Thanks for the help, support and interest, it is greatly appreciated.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 pm 
Lewis:

Russ is on the right track for converting 1/8 scale drawings, but not quite right. You see 1:72 scale is 72 ft to 1foot or 6 ft to an inch; where as 1/8" scale is 8 ft to an inch or 96 feet to a foot (1:96 scale). Therefore to scale your drawings up to 1:72 scale divide 96/72 or 8/6 and you get a factor of 1.3333. If you scale your drawings up by a factor of 1 1/3 or 1.33 they will be in 1:72 scale.

As for 1:72 scale fittings check out White Ensign Models, Great Little Ships, John Hayes, or HR Products. They all make various versions of the 20mm Oilikon and Ready Service Lockers for the same and several have recently come out with 40mm Bofors Guns and 3", 4" and 5" deck Guns. You will find many other useful fittings, like davits, boats, cranes, life rings, life rafts, fire hoses, stowage containers, cargo, compasses, ships telegraphs, bells, etc. For the best 1:72 scale sailors (figures) go to Czech Master.

Good luck with your LST.

Don R. Rainey
Marine Structural Designer
and 1:72 scale boatbuilder

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:44 am 

I was born and raised in Evansville, I don't think they had a real LST then but there was a very detailed large scale model on the lower floor that had full interior with tanks and equipment. Is it still there?

Report this post