The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:13 pm 

Hi All,

I am a complete newbie, I am building a 1/60 scale 173 foot submarine chaser, 'Le Fougueux (P641). All plans/details taken from http://www.p641.nl/. I have nearly finished the hull which was very enjoyable and not too taxing, I have purchased a pair of JP power 400 motors, shafts, U.J's, fittings, props, rudders, etc, but I have a couple of questions I need clearing up. (I think this will show my current inexperience...)

1. The propshafts are stainless steel, there is no grease in them, should there be, and if so, what is the best way to pack the grease in? I'm kinda thinking that if there is no grease the water is going to come straight up the shaft, especially in reverse.

2. Should the rudder posts be greased too, and does the brass nut have to go on the bottom of the boat? Seems to spoil the line a bit!

3. This is more for figures than anything else, is there anyone making 1/60 bits, especially figures? (Nothing like a couple of blokes on deck to show the scale)

As I say, sorry if this is a bit tedious to answer, but I figure we all gotta start somewhere.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:12 pm 

Welcome to the list.
1. The propshafts are stainless steel, there is no grease in them, should there be, and if so, what is the best way to pack the grease in?
Yes, I use a syringe to force the grease down the tube, try not to get grease on the outside of the tube, haha happens all the time!
Clean it off before you try to solder or glue it.
2. Should the rudder posts be greased too, and does the brass nut have to go on the bottom of the boat? Seems to spoil the line a bit!
Yes greased again, but sparingly.
Nut on bottom of ruddder post??? lost me, most securing nuts/ pins go on top of the rudder posts can you post a piccy or two, of course if the top of the rudder post is below your water line yes it may need it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:34 pm 

Hi HMAS,

Thanks for answering, very helpful, I'm a bit ashamed as I realised that the sleve on my rudder was upside-down. :Oops_1: Now it makes a bit more sense..........

I am sure I will have more questions as I go along, if I can't work them out myself I will ask, I just hope there are no more daft ones like this.

Thanks again! :smallsmile:

Report this post