The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigging thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:59 am 

Hi

I want to put a small amount of 'rigging' on my 1/1250 ships, however, as I only want a representation - will the readily available thread of 0.75 and 0.3 be too thick?

Can anyone advise please.

Everett

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Rigging thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 am 

I don't know what units your 0.75 and 0.3 are in (mm? inches?), but both would be too thick for sure. The best option would be to use stretched sprue, as per Jim Baumann's method, since you can control how thin you want it to be: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37536

Alternatively, the thinnest commercial product is UNI-Caenis, a fly-tying line. It is just about right for 1/700 scale, so would be too thick for 1/1250 if you were thinking of doing ALL the rigging, but should be fine for your purposes of a few simple strands for representation.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 am 

Thanks Timmy :thumbs_up_1:

I have just been putting up masts with 'Flower Arranging' wire, very inexpensive instead of brass.

I will look at the site for my representational rigging....and keep in mind that recommended for 1/700

Everett

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:53 am 

Hi All:

You guys either have eagle eyes or have magnifiers that can see past the microscopic range! I have trouble with 1/700! How in blazes does one work in a scale that small? Holy Crap! Let me know please? Really interested to know. It may help me with 1/700 builds. Thanks

Stephen C.
intruder500

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:37 pm 

Consider also fake hair from a wig shop. It is somewhat stretchy and comes in many colors.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:53 am 

Everett wrote:
Hi

I want to put a small amount of 'rigging' on my 1/1250 ships, however, as I only want a representation - will the readily available thread of 0.75 and 0.3 be too thick?

Can anyone advise please.

Everett

Hi Everett,

I use infini Black Lycra Rigging (https://freetimehobbies.com/infini-models-black-lycra-rigging-20-denier-145ft/) and Uni-Caenis (https://www.ffnproshop.com/uni-caenis-thread) in black and 20 Denier. The latter, if you need to attach flags, etc., as lycra is not stable enough for this. Works perfect. See an example in 1/1200 scale here in the board -> http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14016&p=909929#p909929

Jack

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:33 pm 

I'm new to rigging my 1/700 model ships and I'd like to get recommendations as to what the best products are to use as the "thread." I've looked at online videos, so I think I can figure out the actual installation process, but I'm unsure about the material to use for the simplest and best looking rigging. Thanks in advance for any help!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:01 pm 

This is Uni Caenis on Flyhawk 1/2000 Bismarck:

:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:38 pm 

intruder500 wrote:
Hi All:

You guys either have eagle eyes or have magnifiers that can see past the microscopic range! I have trouble with 1/700! How in blazes does one work in a scale that small? Holy Crap! Let me know please? Really interested to know. It may help me with 1/700 builds. Thanks

Stephen C.
intruder500

I found Modelkasten, 1/700 0.07mm - worked great for me.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=161768&start=60

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:02 pm 

I just wanted to thank you folks who gave me advice on the use of Lycra and Modelkasten wire for rigging my 1/700 scale warships. It's worked out very well (I've updated 30 ships already) and I'm moving forward with adding rigging to the rest of my models!

Now I have a new question. To complete my warships I need to get WW1 German, WW2 Italian and WW2 British national flags. I bought assorted flag decals (from GMM?) in the past, but I can't find flags for these these specific nations. Also, I tried metal white ensigns, but they didn't work very well. I'd try paper flags, if I could find them, but no luck. I usually glue a bit of aluminum foil to the flagstaff and then place a water decal over the foil, so I'd like to continue using this method. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice....

Report this post