The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:51 am 

Hello Everyone! :wave_1:

I've been a member of this forum since June last year, but this is my first ever post. Up to now I've been lurking about in the shadows, watching what all of you get up to, stealing all your ideas... :whistle: But now the time has come to step out into the limelight and ask for help!

To ask so basic a question is almost embarrassing to people who are such genuine craftsmen, but then again as my old science teacher would say, "No matter how silly a questions sounds, if you don't know the answer it's a good question", so here goes.

I bought a really nice Neptun model of the battleship Roma on Ebay at a very reasonable price. She's currently in the typical Neptun paint scheme, but I would really like to try to put some colour into her. I've been trying to figure out some way of putting the air recognition stripes on her foredeck, all the way back to the breakwater aft of A turret, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to apply the masking tape to the area I wish to paint. There are so many odds 'n' ends on the deck - AA guns, capstans, etc. - that I don't know how to get the masking tape on in a manner that will insure a secure seal.

So how do you guys do it... how do you get those stripes so razor sharp and precise on the decks of your models? Freehand? I hope not, I could NEVER do that freehand, and full marks to any of you who can. Someone suggested taking as much of the equipment off the model first, but although I need to check, I fear most of it is cast on, it would be a difficult task to try to remove it I suspect.

I don't pretend to be a brilliant painter, each and every one of you could produce a better paint job if you wear wearing a blindfold than I could even dream off, but I would like to try to make such an elegant ship look as good as I possibly can.

So lads, there it is! I'm really stuck with this one, I have not the slightest idea how to attempt this. ANY advice or tips you can offer will be a huge help to me and will be very much appreciated.

Many, many thanks in advance.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:23 am 

Nobody wants to help me... :cry_3: :cry:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:56 am 

You might try asking in the Main Forum or Tips and Tricks.

If I were you though, I'd try to mask as much of the flat areas as possible using tiny pieces of tape, and then free-handing the bumpy areas.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:09 am 

That sounds like a good idea Timmy. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:53 am 

Would pin stripe decals work, with plenty of setting solution? :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:32 pm 

Quote:
Would pin stripe decals work..?

I don't know. I had thought about decals but for some reason that idea lapsed and I went back to the idea of painting them on.

Maybe I should go back to the drawing board and give the decals a bit more thought.

Again, :thanks: :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:12 am 

It's just an idea, but with the amount of raised deck detail you'll find just as much difficulty (or ease) with decals as with masking. And if you mess up, decals are easier to remove. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:02 am 
Probably this might be something for you:

http://muenchner-rundbrief.xobor.de/t75f10-Decals-1.html
http://files.homepagemodules.de/b628943/f10t75p922n2_yhrQKRuv.jpg

Kind regards

Report this post