The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fond memories
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:30 pm 

I had a collection of Eagle ships way back in the early '60's...thought they were really neat! Found this on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-EAGLE-Mod ... 0008.m2219

Just realized how crude they really were. How disappointing!
:wave_1:

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Fond memories
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:22 am 

Yes, my first 1/1200s (?) were the Pyro's (is that a subliminal message on their supposed fate;-), the list of 8 USN and IJN ships (later supplemented by borrowing molds from Eagle(?) for UK and KM ships). This was back in the day of "box scale" ships, where ship models were generally scaled to "fit in the Box", i.e. a Destroyer was the same length of a BB or a CV or a PT. A same scale selection of ships seemed a godsend (this was before the 1/700, or even the 1/720 scales - though Airfix produced several 1/600s). Alas, these were odd ducks, the WASHINGTON and MASSACHUSETTS were the same model, an odd in-between class, YAMATO has a 1942 version on one side, and 1944 on the other, ZUIKAKUs looked like a Jane's 1939 estimate, but the ESSEXs were actually fairly descent. PLUS -they were waterline-able (removable lower hull) so they could sit flat on the floor! mine disappeared about 50 years ago, but recently Lindberg re-issue a few sets (I got some for nostalgia purposes, though I haven't brought myself even to a rough fitting together yet.) Closest to them was a Lindberg box scale BILOXI, at about 1/1110 scale, and Monogram made a rare fleet set in 1/1200. Airfix made some that were supposed to be fairly nice, and re-issued a "Hunt the Bismarck" set a few years back. Since then, I've gone to the cast metal ships since the 70's; Superiors, Tridents, Neptuns and Hansa and the like, and haven't really looked back.

Report this post