The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vintage 1/1250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:08 am 

Way back in the 60's there was a line of model styrene ships from England by a company called Eagle, or Eaglewall, in 1/1200, or 1/1250. I had the King George V, a corvette and DE (Buckley class), set of 5 various U-boats, Altmark, Ajax (or Achilles), K-class (HMS Kimberly) destroyer, and others I can't remember. The supply of them in Canada was really sporadic, and few and far between. The looked pretty good some 50 years ago. I suppose they are long OOP. Does anyone else remember them? There was also an American company, Pyro, that had ships in the same scale - mostly US and Japanese, but I think the British kits were better than the US. :wave_1:

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: vintage 1/1250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:42 pm 

I have the Eaglewall HMS Warspite & HMS Norfolk. Replaced the turrets on Warspite with 15" turrets from the Tri-ang Vanguard. Much better! Also have Tremo 8" turrets for Norfolk. Friend of mine got them for me some years ago at a Singapore car boot sale or the equivalent. In any event, they got me moving in this scale. Even the British kits need lots of filling, filing and sanding.

Neat scale!

Jack

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:55 am 

Brings back old memories :jump_1: I think the smallest I would try now is 1/700! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:59 am 

I have a few of the kits, bought off eBay about 8-10 years ago. Mine include 3 Ajax kits, a Maass class DD, Black Swan and a German minesweeper, and more at home in NZ. Sadly, a couple of the kits were stored here in a storage facility, and the boxes have dry rotted. I also bought some old Pyros and Airfix 1/1200s about the same time.

Report this post