The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dust
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:36 am 

I am constantly plagued by dust during my builds and it obviously has a negative effect on the paint job. What tips/techniques do you all use to keep dust away? I cover my models when I am not currently working on them, but somehow dust still gets in there. I work in the basement so I know that it inherently dusty.

Anyone have any good tips?

Post subject: Re: Dust
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:48 am 

Make sure you're completely enclosing the space you are storing the model. Also make sure the storage space is as small as possible. If a big space you are trapping dust each time.

I dust a model before painting and then blow dry air through the airbrush to blow of any missed dust before appling paint.

I also have found less dust in my paint when I can paint outside, but depends on your environment.

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:18 am 

I buy a plastic model case for the ship before I start building and store the model in it between work on the kit. Of course, most of my ships are 1/700, or smaller ships in 1/350, so there is a variety of car-size show cases, and larger ones by Trumpeter and Merit available. If you're doing a 1/200 Bismarck...well that's a different story! :wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:08 pm 

All the above, plus use of tack rag on occasion. Also, you may wish to wipe down surface to be painted with rubbing alcohol on a lint free cloth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 am 

Thanks for the tips! One idea I had was to avoid using cardboard boxes the shield the model. Perhaps they have small fibers that can come off? Anyway, I think plastic is probably the best. I could always wash the platic box when needed.

Does anyone have experience with using Tamiya's anti-static dusting brush?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 am 

Putting a dusting brush, or even feather duster, anywhere near a completed ship model with rigging, etc., is looking for trouble! :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:08 pm 

i used tupperware or take out container.... :cool_2:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:57 am 

You need to keep your painting area as clean as possible. I've talked to some guys that have built boxes around their paint extractors and paint inside those boxes. I for one don't have that kind of room. It's been suggested to me that starting your paint extractor and letting it run for 30 min or so before painting helps. Maybe but I know looking into the lights when I do that there's still small particles floating around in the air. You just can't get away from it completely. I think the key is to keep your paint area clean and cover your subject as quickly as possible. I have some plastic drying boxes where I put my models and I think that has done more to help my results than anything.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:23 am 

Thanks everyone for the tips. I do think plastic boxes are important as you can wash them so there is no dust build up. I recently started using plastic sushi take-away boxes for my smaller parts. They have small ribs at the bottom to help stop the parts from rolling all over the place. (Of course tape works, too.)

Really cool would be some kind of work bench that is hinged, so you can fold down the backboard to cover your work. Too bad I am not good with woodwork!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:36 am 

Maybe a sterile environment such as an aero-space lab? :big_grin:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:58 am 

A subject near and dear to my heart - and a constant source of annoyance. Lately I have been trying some things that seem to be working for me. I offer them here as a work in progress because they seem to work so far, but I haven't gone through an entire year's cycle of climate in my hobby room.
One: I have a dedicated air filter that filters dust particles out of the air. I situate it such that it exhausts (cleaned) air toward the mouth of my spray booth from 18" away.
Two: I start the blowers in my spray booth several minutes before I start to paint.
Three: I have a small humidifier that generates moist air that blows into the air filter. Static electricity is greatly reduced as humidity increases. Cold weather generally results in drier air and therefore more static electricity.
Four: Before placing the work in the booth, I go over it slowly with a Zerostat (here's a link to it - not shilling for Amazon, just showing the product: http://www.amazon.com/MILTY-ZEROSTAT-AN ... B0033SHDSS ). After using the Zerostat I gently dab a tack rag (from your local paint store) on the surface of the work to pick up any dust or lint. The Zerostat does not necessarily cause the dust to fall off, but it stops the dust from clinging. Having used the Zerostat on the work, it seems to keep further dust from landing. I also give a once-over to the spray booth itself before painting. I have a PVC rest that I put my wrist on when I spray and I have tested that with a bit of aluminum foil - foil attracted to it before Zerostat, neutral afterwards, so I know it's working.
This set of steps increases the workload a bit. Getting dust on the work, and any remedial work to remove / repair it is far more work in my experience.