The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA Debonder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:06 am 

Greetings fellow modelers,

I just learned something that I thought I'd pass along here. Maybe some of you already know it, but it's new to me. In addition to building my big Missouri, I also build airplanes, mainly when I get a case of burn-out working on my ship. Because of this, I also belong to a website called "Large Scale Planes" [www.largescaleplanes.com]. A few days ago I was pursuing that site, looking at old build logs and happened to run across one posted in 2016 from a member there called Chuck540z3, from Calgary, Alberta Canada, titled "Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17". The build logs from this gentleman are extremely interesting because he goes into a lot of detail and explanations of how and why he does things, sort of mini tutorials. He also talks about things he's learned and tips he's picked up.

On page 11 of the above build log Chuck mentions a product from Great Planes called 'Pro CA Debonder" that he uses to remove CA from places where he doesn't want it. I hope I'm not violating any copyright laws here, but I'd like to post what he says about this product.

Attachment:
CA Debonder.jpg
CA Debonder.jpg [ 219.02 KiB | Viewed 457 times ]

I never knew this existed and let me tell you, I really could have used it so far. I went to Great Planes site and found it's $3.99 for a 1 ounce bottle. Problem is, the shipping is $9.99 from Illinois to Michigan!! So, I ordered 3 bottles.
Like I said, some of you might already know about this - or a different vendor who makes the same thing, but in case you don't, you might want to try this stuff out. I'll let you know how it works when mine arrives.

Currently working on (and will be for years to come!)
1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)

Post subject: Re: CA Debonder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:22 am 

Been aware of it and have purchased the "green bottle" from various sources in the past.
Funny thing, I am not sure who actually makes this stuff. They seem to print anybodys name on the bottle but the bottle looks exactly the same.

http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/un_cure.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/un-cure-ca- ... -1-oz.html

What is interesting though is the technique described. I never tried brushing it to remove CA residue. Only time I use it is when I screw up.
BUT this stuff does eat paint and decals so you better assemble first and paint later if you try to use it.

ALSO it will eat your cutting mat if you spill it! No joke! First it will remove the paint and then it will begin to eat whatever polymer they use to glue the layers together.
It gets sticky you end up with a layer or two missing in your mat.

Use it on skin as a last resort, it doesnt burn but it feels funny.

Post subject: Re: CA Debonder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:21 pm 

Also can use acetone or nail polish remover.
T2