The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:57 pm 

High gang. Pete in RI here. Putting out a general call for help, as I am having a heck of a time drilling port holes in a straight line. Subject is the 1/200 HMS Hood, Trumpeter. The kit's molded ones are in the wrong places, (well, gee, what do you expect from the big T?, accuracy?? lolol) So, I tried, multiple times, got the spacing right, got the different sizes right, but getting them in a straight line????????? lololololol.......SO.......what do method do you all use? I marked, center popped, used a small pilot hole, bust. filled, started again. Failed again. rinse and repeat. Do I make a brass template? Drilling holes in a straight line in plastic REALLY should not be this hard. What am I missing here? Helpless and incompetant in RI Pete.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:19 pm 

Right on the plastic, don't want the old "tape wobble"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:51 pm 

I've never built anything in 1/200, but I've done lot of portholes in 1/700 which I assume is no more forgiving.

Typically I'll mark out the horizontal centerline with some type of hard edge tape https://www.amazon.com//dp/B00B8GQRHK ( or Dymo tape, scribing tape, even masking tape sometimes) and then mark the centers with a needle tool of some type https://www.amazon.com//dp/B0028MV9G2 to center the drill bit before drilling with a pin vice.

Links above are similar to what I use, but not necessarily specific recommendations.

Related - I'm really not much of a fan of the newer drill sets with tungsten carbide bits. https://www.amazon.com//dp/B07G6STHKW I can't even keep one on the desk top without the bit breaking. Strongly prefer regular old carbon steel bits for smaller sizes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:21 am 

Carbide drills are not made, indeed, for free-hand drilling, they don’t like lateral forces.

Did you use an electric drill ? The drill-speed may have been too high, melting the plastic, which in turn leads to drill run-out. A pin-vice is better for this.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:28 pm 

wefalck wrote:
Did you use an electric drill ? The drill-speed may have been too high, melting the plastic, which in turn leads to drill run-out. A pin-vice is better for this.

Nope. Just the regular collection of pin-vices and bits.

Attachment:
65EBF0FB-8A0F-49DC-AD45-B9187AF30F84.jpeg
65EBF0FB-8A0F-49DC-AD45-B9187AF30F84.jpeg [ 178.75 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:41 pm 

Have a look at a previous thread on the subject where a number of folk contributed ideas
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91552
Midway down, the page you will find the practice of using a saw blade to line them up and also space them out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:32 pm 

Thank you all for the help. will switch to the pin vices and read through the suggeted links. Regards, Pete in RI