The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:27 pm 

That's about the color I am looking for. Will have to see which are available!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:44 am 

Judging from other threads here, this color is in some dispute. I'd futz with Golden Fluid Red Oxide (which uses red oxide for the pigment) and some other red and what? And lighten or darken a bit if looks off. One place to get a comparison of things out there is Scale Hobbyist - the best price and one of the most efficient model site on the web. They also now have a very large paint selection. (https://www.scalehobbyist.com/) If you search "hull red" you'll get Tamiya XF9 Hull Red and Tamiya's lacquer spray Hull Red. There is also Hull Red from both Vallejo Model Air and Model Color and two from Testors although they look like German colors. Scale Hobbyist gives Federal Standard Numbers (yes yes, not accurate for WWII but bloody close) which you can take over to the Federal Standard Color Server page and compare:
http://www.colorserver.net/#search.

For what it's worth my color conversion software has Tamiya XF9 and Vallejo Model Air Hull Red an exact match.

If you want to see Golden Fluid Red Oxide check http://www.dickblick.com/products/golde ... -acrylics/. I use the paint a lot for starting rust patterns and it's got more red in it than it appears at least on my monitor - but you can sort of think of rust.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:37 pm 

Thanks Eric:

My 1:192 modern Missouri currently has the lower hull covered with Mr. Color #29 hull red which is pretty close to what I want. Closest hobby shop is about 400 miles which besides the fun factor is an impetus for mixing my own paints.

Rather amazing the number of different ways one can get to at least a similar result starting with primaries and on down the pike using the color mixer. Before finding that, photoshop has a similar way of creating colors. I have ordered a lot from Blick over the years, as a photographer I have gotten a lot of my framing supplies from them.

Cheers. Tom