The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:27 pm 

Has any one worked with resin crew figures in 1/350 scale? I bought a USS Texas recently and decided to order some figures to put on the decks. When they arrived I looked at them and thought how do you work with these. I don't even know how to remove them from the little resin base without destroying them. I think I may have gotten a little too ambitious I just thought it would look more intresting with some figures. I also need some advice about painting them any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:34 pm 

I've bought the North Star 3D printed ones. They're packed in extremely close on to a 3/4" square wafer - actually too close to pass a razor saw between them. I used a pair of Xuron sprue cutters to cut the wafer into smaller sections, but be prepared to sacrifice 1 or 2 figs. Then I clipped off the figures' pedestals and tack-glued them to a section of plastic sprue for painting. If they're US navy figs airbrush their light blue shirts first, then brush paint their dark blue pants. Brush paint hands and faces, and white "dixie-cup" caps. If really ambitious, paint in eyeballs! :big_grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:17 am 

I've used the two types available, L'Arsenal and NorthStar. Both are very good and finely formed, although my personal preference is for the L'Arsenal ones. They can be mainly painted while still attached, and then carefully removed by cutting off the resin attachment. This may seem a little fiddly, but well worth the patience in my opinion.