The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Airbrush Question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:04 pm 

Hello All,

I have an airbrush question or 2 I hope someone can help with.

I have an Iwata Eclipse dual action and a couple of different needles/nozzles. When I use the one for small patterns I get lots of clogs using Model Master Acrylics.

I read some place a long time ago that there was trick you could use on the order (paint or air) of when to let up on the trigger but I can't remember which to stop first...Is it letting up on paint or air first that will help it not to clog....?

Also.....Thinning... Anyone using MM acryl what is a good ratio to thin with?

Thanks......

SC

Post subject: Re: Airbrush Question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:41 pm 

I don't have an Iwata but I do have a Sotar 20/20. Not sure how close they are, but if for some odd reason I am forced to use any acrylic, I always use a retarder, usually Mr Levelling Thinner that has a retarder already mixed in. That eliminated any issues I had with clogged tips.

I never had very good luck with MM Acrylics. Even with careful surface prep and quality primer it never seemed durable a enough and it felt like if I looked at it wrong it would rub off. This was over 13 years ago so maybe they have improved since then.

I do use Gunze and Tamiya paints more, but I do not believe they are acrylics as in "thin with water"

Good luck,
BW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:51 pm 
BuNo02100 wrote:
I don't have an Iwata but I do have a Sotar 20/20. Not sure how close they are, but if for some odd reason I am forced to use any acrylic, I always use a retarder, usually Mr Levelling Thinner that has a retarder already mixed in. That eliminated any issues I had with clogged tips.

I never had very good luck with MM Acrylics. Even with careful surface prep and quality primer it never seemed durable a enough and it felt like if I looked at it wrong it would rub off. This was over 13 years ago so maybe they have improved since then.

I do use Gunze and Tamiya paints more, but I do not believe they are acrylics as in "thin with water"

Good luck,
BW

Thanks for the retarder tip BW.....

So, what do you use to thin or clean the Gunze and Tamiya paints if they're not 'water based'? Are they lacquer based?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:15 pm 

I have a Testors dual action airbrush and just used it on an F-16 I built. I used MM acrylics and didn't have any issues with clogging at all. I have a bottle of acrylic thinner and used a drop or two in each bowl of paint and it worked just fine.

Current projects:
1/700 USS Catamount 1960
1/350 USS Columbia 1945
1/350 USS San Francisco 1944

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:43 pm 
medicmike wrote:
I have a Testors dual action airbrush and just used it on an F-16 I built. I used MM acrylics and didn't have any issues with clogging at all. I have a bottle of acrylic thinner and used a drop or two in each bowl of paint and it worked just fine.

I don't have any problem on the large nozzle/needle combination but when I switch the the one for a more narrow spray pattern I get the clogs....

Thanks for the 'recipe' of a drop or 2 of thinner.....Do you mix that in before you add it to the AB or just drop them into the AB bowl with the paint? How do you mix it in if you drop it into the AB? Seems like you would have to mix it a bit to prevent an uneven spray at some point....?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:20 pm 

BuNo02100 wrote:

Good luck,
BW

Isn't Mr Leveling Thinner a lacquer thinner? I didn't know you could use mix lacquer and acrylics? Does that explain how you thin Gunze and Tamiya paints ("not thin with water")? This is making my head explode...LOL... :whistle:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:24 pm 

medicmike wrote:

I don't have problems with the wide pattern nozzle/needle combo..but when I try the narrow pattern with the small nozzle/needle combo that's when the clogs come.

I can try the acrylic thinner as you mention....do you stir it some way once you add a drop or to in a bowl of paint? I would think you would have to in order to prevent uneven spray at some point....?