The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wooden decks..
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:49 pm 

Hi all

As a relative ship newbie, I have never fitted a wooden deck to a 1/200 scale ship. I have the MK1 Arizona set, Pontos Bismarck and the Pontos Hood on pre-order.

So, can someone who knows their stuff please answer these questions..

1. Is it best to give the plastic deck a primer and gloss coat to help the wooden deck adhesive grab?

2. Does the deck adhesive keep the deck in place over time, or do they start to curl up? Remedy?

3. Should I fit the deck to the hull then add the wooden deck or vise versa?

4. How do you avoid the raised edge of the wood deck becoming an issue visually?

Thanks very much in anticipation of some answers here, i look forward to some good old experienced advice.

Nigel

Post subject: Re: Wooden decks..
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:42 am 

I did'nt encount any difficulty with my Pontos wooden deck for the Bismarck, self adhesive parts are really easy to remove from the plastic sheet (just with a cutter you follow the edges) and apply on your deck... replacement is also possible... no extra coat are needed. Except if you want to add later washing effect who can be done after directly after decking. Absolutely great work from Pontos :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:24 pm 

I haven't had issues with Artwox or WoodHunter decks peeling up. Just needs a good buff down to get it to stick, especially for small pits and corners.

I now don't paint underneath, they stick to plastic just fine. Be aware though if you spray the hull, etc, any overspray that contrasts with the deck colour will show through so if oyu have to, ensure the base colour is light/neutral and even.

I attach the deck to the hull, paint, and then attach the deck. I can then paint superstructures, details, etc separately and attach.

No solution to the 'raised' edge of the deck unfortunately! Usually not noticeable, if it's stuck down well as they are thin.

Current builds:
- 1/350 SMS Vulkan sub tender
- 1/350 Chen Yuen Ironclad
- 1/72 Gato Class Submarine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:10 am 

Nigel
As has been stated above....make sure you rub or burnish it down well.
*For large open areas I roll an Exacto knife handle back and forth along the deck to press it down evenly.Pay close attention to areas around fittings and such...they may be problematic for air-bubbles..
*If you intend to weather your ship, I would suggest you seal the deck with a good shot of Krylon Matte Acrylic to eliminate any lifting caused by the "weathering" agents used.

The first time can be a little scary. Just take your time.
Good Luck!