The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/200 missouri
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:12 pm 

Hi,
I am new to forum and looking for a bit of advice. I have been making models for 50 years so I am getting on but still enjoy making models. My son got me a model of Missouri 1/200 scale for Christmas and he has just got me the kit for all brass parts etc. I am vary lucky. In the kit the PE parts, there are a number of parts there that look like hatch covers but we cant find them on the instruction sheets. The number of the items are, 921, 923, 925, 926, 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933, 934, 935, 936, 937, 938. There are 48 items all together.
Any one got any ideas.

Thanks Chris

Post subject: Re: 1/200 missouri
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:00 pm 

Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum! Boy, you are starting out with a bang, aren't you! That is one whale of an undertaking. It's fun, but let me tell you, you can burn out really fast on those teeny-tiny parts. I've been working off and on on this model for over a year (Real life: 98%; Model time: 2%). I started a build log but I've done so little the guys probably think I'm either dead or have given up. I may be slow, but I;m enjoying it.

Now, you ask about some parts. Based on the description and the numbers you gave, I'm assuming you're referring to the Pontos detail set. And yes, you are right. They are hatches and watertight bulkheads, if you want to use them. If you plan on leaving the plastic formed ones as is, you probably won't want to use these, but a lot of us plan on removing the cast ones and using brass. Also, some of us plan on opening up some of the bulkheads and if you do that, you will need to glue these onto both sides of a piece of Evergreen strip to simulate open "doors". There's all sorts of options for you, and you can do as little or as much as your heart desires. It's your boat and you can do whatever you want - as long as you have fun!

If this is your first big ship, you might want to make it more "generic" until you get some experience. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that! Kelly Quirk make an absolutely fantastic model of this kit using some of the more important parts of the Pontos set and a lot of Out-Of-The-Box parts. Check out his build log here:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=155426

I hope I helped a bit, and if you have more questions, don't be afraid to ask. We're a pretty friendly bunch around here and you can learn a lot. And, if you would care to, why not start a build log so the rest of us can see hoe you are coming. Unless you're like me, that is, and spend so little time building that folks get tired of waiting for updates and move on to other things. :heh: :tongue:

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Post subject: Re: 1/200 missouri
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:27 pm 

Larry, you have been a big help. I had an idea where they went but could not match numbers up, and yes it is a pontos kit.

I am a retired Marine engineer and I visited Missouri last year and I don't know but it just did something to me and I need to go back again one day. She is one hell of a ship.

Thanks again
Chris