The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:30 am 

I'm not sure if this is for warships only? It says the Ship Model Forum at the top but the name of the website is ModelWarships? Sorry if this is the wrong website.

I have recently purchased the academy titanic centenary edition 1/400 and i need some help.
I have only really done a few small war airplanes and i decided i wanted to do something that was quite big and something that everyone knows about. So i was gonna do the Queen Mary I or the Titanic and i chose the Titanic.

Anyway, i've painted a bit of it, and did the first few steps, but when i say these ropes going everywhere i was a little confused. So the instructions clearly state here that i just thread this string that was provided through the holes
https://jii.moe/H14y23cFe.jpg
But then i saw the rope tied around a little cylinder, which i have no clue what it is...
Also i was confused as to what i have to do after i thread A, B,C etc throgh, not sure if i had to make a knot or what.
I also was a little confused with 'I' the one with an arch and stuff - didin't know what that little thing was in the middle of the black line, is it

Then i went to the next page and saw that the ropes are not visible, and that the wooden deck had already been placed down - do does the rope go under the wooden board?
https://jii.moe/rkia2nqKe.jpg

I don't really want to continue on until i know exactly what i am doing.

Cheers :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:39 am 

We accept ships (and boats) of all types here!

The cylinder is a piece of "stretched sprue", and the diagram to the left of it is showing you one way to make it - basically, heat up a piece of the plastic sprue until it's soft, then stretch so it's thin. Cut out to make the cylinder. Another (better) way is to heat only one end of the sprue until soft, stab it down on a surface, and pull.

The purpose of this cylinder is so your rigging ("string") can't come back through the hole in the deck. A less messy way to do it is it simply tie a large knot, or just glue the string's end to the under side of the deck.

The "I" piece is just showing you the midpoint where they recommend you locate the cylinder - notice in step 8 on that page that the I length of rigging is used. Unlike the other pieces of rigging, the cylinder is located at the midpoint, rather than the end, of the rigging piece.

The rigging is not shown in subsequent instructions for clarity's sake. Look through the rest of the booklet and it should tell you how the lines should attach to masts and funnels.

But that's for a regular "out of the box" build of the model. In real life, the rigging does not actually go through holes in the deck, but are usually attached to eyelets and other small fittings on top of the deck.

If you want it to be more accurate, you can check out the Titanic Modelling Association's webpage: http://titanic-model.com/ They have a section dedicated to rigging here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:31 am 

Timmy C wrote:
We accept ships (and boats) of all types here!

The cylinder is a piece of "stretched sprue", and the diagram to the left of it is showing you one way to make it - basically, heat up a piece of the plastic sprue until it's soft, then stretch so it's thin. Cut out to make the cylinder. Another (better) way is to heat only one end of the sprue until soft, stab it down on a surface, and pull.

The purpose of this cylinder is so your rigging ("string") can't come back through the hole in the deck. A less messy way to do it is it simply tie a large knot, or just glue the string's end to the under side of the deck.

The "I" piece is just showing you the midpoint where they recommend you locate the cylinder - notice in step 8 on that page that the I length of rigging is used. Unlike the other pieces of rigging, the cylinder is located at the midpoint, rather than the end, of the rigging piece.

The rigging is not shown in subsequent instructions for clarity's sake. Look through the rest of the booklet and it should tell you how the lines should attach to masts and funnels.

But that's for a regular "out of the box" build of the model. In real life, the rigging does not actually go through holes in the deck, but are usually attached to eyelets and other small fittings on top of the deck.

If you want it to be more accurate, you can check out the Titanic Modelling Association's webpage: http://titanic-model.com/ They have a section dedicated to rigging here.

Okay, really appreciate the help.

So does the rope go under the wooden board?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 am 

The end with the cylinder, yes. For the lengths without the cylinder, also yes, but the loose ends would go above the deck so they can be tied to the masts and funnels. Pay close attention to which side of the deck is being shown in the diagrams and that should clear things up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:21 am 

Timmy C wrote:
The end with the cylinder, yes. For the lengths without the cylinder, also yes, but the loose ends would go above the deck so they can be tied to the masts and funnels. Pay close attention to which side of the deck is being shown in the diagrams and that should clear things up.

Cheers, thank for not being vague (lol).

Turns out that i'm missing a piece (the top of the fourth funnel) Do you know of any websites that sell parts?
Otherwise i will try get a refund.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:45 pm 

Glad to help, and thanks for making it clear what the issue was by posting the marked photos - a lot of times, people ask for help on issues that anyone could assist with, but couldn't because they don't have the kit being referenced!

Sadly, Academy doesn't appear to have an online spare parts service. You might ask the shop you bought it from to see if they can procure one for you, or contact Academy's distributor for Australia: http://academy.co.kr/eng/7c/wwp.asp