The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:22 am 

Guys

I'm currently building a 1/700 model of the Juan Carlos LPD aircraft carrier.

Every time I look at the decal sheet for the flight deck markings its sends a shiver down my spine, I know when it comes to laying down the main markings I'm going to make a backside of it.... Anyone got any pointers on how to lay this down without damaging it? Due to its large size would it be better to cut it into sections?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:40 pm 

Applying long thin decals is a bit of an art form, and I guess people will have different techniques.

My way of placing them is to apply plenty of water along the whole strip of deck where the long decal is to be placed to allow free movement, and ensure the backing paper is well soaked so the decal is free to move, then use a flat brush to pin one end of the decal to the end of the deck where it is to go, and pull the backing paper away along its length leaving the long decal in approximately the right place on the deck. To get into the exact right position, I use two techniques; one is to pull the the long decal back and forth along its length a few times by pulling it at each end, each movement gradually straightens and position the decal, the second for fine adjustments is to lift and very gently nudge the decal from the side with a wetted small flat brush to remove any stubborn non-straight bend points.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:32 am 

You could also cut the long bits into more manageable lengths and apply them one at a time, and lining them up carefully. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:43 pm 

biggles2 wrote:
You could also cut the long bits into more manageable lengths and apply them one at a time, and lining them up carefully. :wave_1:

That's the method I chose with my Intrepid.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 am 

Hello Guys

Thank you for the reply to this thread, I've only just spotted the reply. I'm working on a ship of the coast of Australia and my internet access is a little limited. Thank you all for the helpful comments.

I'll give it a go as soon as I can!

Cheers

Marty

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:22 am 

As a guiding line, paint the deck, use a good ruler and a pencil to draw the line before you clear cote.

When using multiple decals to make one single line. Keep all the decals wet till you get them all into a final position.

When doing the final alignment, get your eye low and look how straight the line is. Also look at the line from both sides. I even flip it upside down some times as it give you a different viewing angle. Your eyes can play tricks on you. Viewing in a mirror can also help give you a different perspective. I use the same technic for making sure your wings are on straight on aircraft.

Check and re-check!

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:42 am 

Thanks Jon......

Check and re-check...... reminds me of an old saying my grandfather had..... Measure twice, Cut once!!!

Marty