The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:26 am 

Doing my first model in a long time. It's also the first time I've worked with photo etching. I had spent a while on the hull, sanding and filling. I then started gluing the PE parts on (doors and secondary gun windows) so that when I painted the hull, everything would be painted at once.

Unfortunately it didn't go well. Some of the superglue got everywhere and in general it looks like a sloppy job, despite putting a lot of time and effort into it. Sometimes the parts fell crooked and had to be reapplied or straightened. Other times I accidentally put too much glue on, so that is spilt around the PE part. So a lot of the parts were messy. Some are still crooked because the glue kept drying too quickly for me to get the fit 100% correct. That's okay, but I'm more concerned about the messiness that remains. I spray painted the hull and hoped that the mess would be covered up, but it's still very distinctive. You can definitely tell the glue made a mess.

I wanted this model to be great but already it looks like a sloppy job. Is there any way to reverse the damage? Would a second coating of paint mask it?

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/berXy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:47 am 

remove items > sand > reglue (use a toothpick or some wire to apply glue in small amounts) > repaint

Edit: you can also use PVA (white glue) which is easy to clean up afterwards or gel superglue (far easier for PE, you can use very little and have a couple of seconds to readjust placement)

Last edited by nikosmadakis on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:01 am 

Or you can try to scrape the glue away with a knife (very carefull), then sand slightly smooth around the details and repaint locally...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:11 am 

Silenoz wrote:
Or you can try to scrape the glue away with a knife (very carefull), then sand slightly smooth around the details and repaint locally...

Sorry YES i meant locally myself not the whole thing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 am 

The thing with peeling off the PE parts is that they're going to have dried glue residue which will require scraping off. That's going to be impossible because of their tiny size, they can't be held steady to do all that scraping.

I don't think I'm skilled enough to locally sand/scrap off the problem areas on the hull. Having said that I took another look at the photos and the mess that has occurred is pretty awful. I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:25 am 

Try a superglue de-bonder. You may have to remove the paint first to expose the superglue, lacquer thinner will work for that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:52 am 

either the de-bonder or hold them for a second over a flame to burn the glue. Don't inhale! Don't worry it's gonna be ok, don't give up or you 'll never finish a model!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:54 am 

Don't know if you have an old scalpel-blade? Put it vertically on the surface and slightly move it without applaying to much pressure. Or you can create a small sanding stick by taking a small piece of wood, and superglue some sandpaper on it... then you can sand very locally

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 pm 

First off, don't beat yourself up too badly. Especially if it's your first time using PE.

With super glue, usually less is more. However, no (reasonable) amount of paint will cover up excess glue. I'd use an X-Acto #17 blade to gently remove the excess, then lightly sand around it.

Don't try and make it perfect - try and make it a learning experience, so the next one is a little better.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:36 pm 

Repeat what Martin said.

I am just now finishing my first couple of models using PE.

And it was a giant pain, and I will be embarrassing myself by showing them soon.

But don't give up, as you'll never finish anything, and everything is a learning experience.

You might want to think about getting some Gator's Grip Acrylic glue. I heard about other's recommending it, and I have had some success with getting tricky to place parts attached, which can later be strengthened with a bit of Superglue, if needed.

But, yeah..... Superglue on PE parts is a monster of an issue.

And cleaning up the glue around a PE part after attaching it can take a long while (especially where details can be destroyed).

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:47 pm 

Personally I use gel superglue with pe. Stays where you put it, one can use very small amounts and allows time for positioning. I only use the thin type when I want it to go to hard to reach places using capillary action

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 pm 

Thanks guys for your encouragement. I'll try to clean it up a bit. Not sure if I will go as far as removing the PE parts and starting again, first I will see if I can scrape and sand the glue around them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:06 am 

Okay Part 1 of the salvage: http://imgur.com/a/jnnqp

All 32 PE pieces of the secondary gun windows removed.

I have sandpaper at home which I'm going to superglue small strips of to a toothpick and sand all around the windows.

I did start with my scalpel at first but accidentally over-carved out a chunk of the hull...which will have to be filled and sanded again.

I'll post back with updates and see what should be done next. I should probably remove all the hull doors as well and sand everything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:34 am 

good luck ;-)