The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:03 am 

Guys

I'm looking for someone out there who can help me scale down a set of plans that I downloaded from modelshipwright website of a liberty ship. The Arthur M Huddell.

http://www.themodelshipwright.com/high- ... m-huddell/

I'm having problems reducing the drawings from what i believe are 1/16th down to 1/350. I was watching a video that Paul Budzik made on youtube, but I getting my self terribly confused i'm going wrong somewhere but I don't know where!!!!

when i open the original drawing in adobe illustrator it's almost 3m long, and i want to reduce it to scratch built this vessel in 1/350 as my first scratch build. the length overall should be around 39cm in 1/350

Can someone please help me??

Cheers

Marty

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:47 am 

If by 1/16 you're referencing the 1/16" = 1',0" notation at the bottom of the drawing, that's not 1/16 scale. Rather, that's saying 1/16ths of an inch in the drawing equals one foot in real life, not that one foot on the drawing equals 16 feet in real life (which is what 1/16th scale means). This means the drawing is at 1/192 scale (at least, that's what it's intended to be). Try using that for your conversion to 1/350, and it should work assuming the metadata in the drawing is correct (i.e. whether the image file's digital dimensions are correctly matched to its pixels-per-centimeter/inch property).

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:00 am 

Hello Timmy C

Thank you for your reply to my post earlier today. Well I finally managed to scale drawings to 1/350 after a little head scratching and a chat with one of my friends here on the ship that I work on.

I took one of the known dimensions that was here LOA: 441ft, converted this into mm then divided it by 350, this gave me a scale LOA of 382mm.

I then, in adobe illustrator created an art-board that was A3 size and then calculated what the scale of the paper dimensions would be in relation to drawings being printed at 1/350.

I constrained all proportions and adjusted the length of the drawing to 438mm across the long edge. Then all I had to do was centre the drawing in the middle of the art-board and he presto I’m done!!!

Looking back, it was a lot easier than I imagined!!!

Thank you Timmy for your help!!

Anyone who’d like a copy of these plans please PM me with your email address and I’d be happy to send them on to you.

Marty

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:20 pm 

Welcome! And yes, for digital drawings, the best "sure" method of getting the scale correct is to use the program you'll be printing from's own ruler/measurement tool.