The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:58 am 

Still working on my 1/700 fujimi shiratsuyu with the rainbow PE kit. There is a piece of PE that goes on the front of the superstructure to make the windows. I'm not sure about how to put this piece on. I would like to glue it onto the front and then progressively fold the parts back. Is this a good strategy for this kind of part?

If it is, I'm not sure what kind of glue to use. CA seems fine for sticking things on but once I start manipulating the folds I'm not sure it will hold. If i start with a white glue will that be strong enough?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:22 pm 

Odds are, the joints will require you to bend the piece beyond the angle you want it to stay at, due to the nature of metal. So starting out with one surface already glued into place is not a good idea - the tendency to spring away from the plastic surface will remain in the joint even after you glue it on, which puts quite a demand on the glue.

I'd suggest dry fitting it, and bending it until you can easily slip the brass over the plastic without any gaps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:34 am 

I would also bend the PE piece into the final shape as much as possible before gluing.

While white glue should be strong enough, I usually glue with CA myself. The trick with CA is to lightly tack the PE in place with tiny dabs of tick gel-type CA, which allows some seconds of adjustment, and afterwards strengthen the joint further by flowing drops of thin liquid CA in the join (I use very thin copper wire as a tool for that).

Cheers,

Marijn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:14 pm 

I would also like to add a little trick I do - white glue on one surface, CA on the other. It seems to provide the best of both worlds - the strength of CA, with the expansion tolerance of white glue. However, this mixture hardens very quickly, so not a lot of working time, requiring that you get the positioning rght within the first couple of seconds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:14 pm 

It will definitely fit and stay put better if bent to fit prior to assembly.

For parts like that, as well as ladders or railings I generally use super glue, but with metal-to-metal joints on parts that require more complicated assembly like radars and cranes I like to use an epoxy like JB weld because it allows plenty of wiggle-time and then dries very strong.

Edit: JB Weld is only good for non plastic surfaces. I attach the assembled PE parts to the plastic kit with either white glue or super glue.