The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:13 am 

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm am new to ship modeling and would apreciate some help with my current project.
I am building the Revel Type VIIc U-Boot in 1/72 scale with a bunch of AM extras and am making good progress but have now run into a problem. I am using a Natulis replacement lazer cut wooden deck.

The issues are as follows:
1) The width of the wooden deck is narrower the the plastic one at the bow end, the problem here is that the Eduard PE matches the plastic piece but if I was to trim it down to suit the wooden piece then the PE will over hang the side and the knock on is if I trim the PE then the spacing for the net cutter would be off... However if I was to fill the gap next to the wooden deck then I'm not sure how that would look.
I would like to know what you experenced ship builders would do here.

2) How to paint the wooden deck without it curving?
I have been experimenting with some of the off cuts and so far disaster has been with me at every turn! I know what I would like it to look like but have no idea how to get there!
The plan is for a worn paint surface down to the teak deck in areas. I wish for the U-Boot to look like it is back from a tour, not an abandoned wreck. My paint preference is Tamiya and I have tried using hair spray and AK worn effects but found the results far from satisfactory especially the tendency for the wood to curl up with the water while chipping.

Sorry for the long post but I am having trouble describing my problems and am at my wits end... Really do not want to box this up again!

Cheers,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:01 am 

Hey,

Well, that's the thing about mixing detail sets! They usually don't go hand in hand!
Prolly the easiest solution would be to just trim the PE plate. After that fill the spacers for the net cutter and build the cutter a bit more closer to fit on to the deck. You really don't need the holes to attach it.

For the painting of the deck. I always use oil/enamel washes to stain the decks. Try dark browns and grays for a dark weathered look, then use sand paper to reveal the teak underneath where you want.
Never had any issues with this method. Also the curving shouldn't even matter as you should glue the deck down first anyway? I doubt it has enough force to pull it off if you do it properly. I only used Pontos decks
and never even used any glue with them and they tend to stick well if you just add a bit water when fitting.

I guess the nautilus deck attaches to the sides as there is nothing underneath it right?