The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 am 

I've started DMLs 1/700 Bismarck and wanted to build it with the waterline option. Now after opening the kit, I noticed the hull is warped downwards on both, bow and stern. Attaching the main deck does not help much, because its getting bend from the hull.

Any idea how to correct this?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 am 

You could try heating (CAREFULLY) in hot to boiling water and gently straighten the ends. You could also, if the upper hull has any kind of interior bracing or waterline plate, assemble the parts and clamp if necessary, and screw the unit to the base you want to place it on. Alternatively, if there is no waterline plate, you could buy 1 mm thick sheet plastic (Evergreen) and cut a piece to fit, using the upper hull parts as a template. It will have to remain like that for the entire build. You could also contact Dragon Help and see if they will replace the warped parts. If you haven't started any construction yet, maybe the store you purchased it from will replace the kit. It's too bad, Dragon, so far, makes the best 1/700 Bismarck, but Flyhawk has announced one for maybe sometime later this year.
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 am 

Maybe put it in your oven on a very low temperature? you could put a weight on top of it and maybe it would straighten itself out. I don't really know what temperature would be appropriate though.

1/700 USS Massachusetts: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?t=166495

Working on:
1/700 IJN Musashi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:21 pm 

When it becomes a puddle of gray liquid plastic you know the setting was too high! :big_grin:
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:42 pm 

I tried water, first warm, later even boiling water - to no avail. The hull just stayed the way it was.
In the end, I decided to use the lower hull part to straighten the upper hull. I plan to put in a waterline diorama, so the lowe hull will dissapear beneath the surface...