The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detail painting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 am 

This is a new hobby for me and I'm making a plastic model of the USS Constituent. Are there any techniques to do very fine, detail painting? A brush seems way too large. I was thinking about a toothpick with just a bit of paint but I'm asking herein to fine out if there are better methods. A fine point felt tip pen- but with paint- that would seem about right.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Also, on tying the rigging, do most of you knot the thread or just glue it in place (yard arms, etc.)?
:cool_2:

Post subject: Re: Detail painting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:19 pm 

For the rigging I use thin copper wire as it can be rolled straight and is easily trimmed, gradually, to the right length. I then form a tiny hook at one end and hold that in place with clear matt varnish, then carefully work the other end into place and hold that there with more varnish. You can paint the wire either in place or before, up to you.

Generally for painting get a variety of brushes. If the brush has a point or sharp edge, it works best, as the brush holds the paint and the point or edge puts it where you want it.

Also where possible pre paint things before they are attached to the model. Saves a lot of cutting in.

Hope these notes help. Try out on scraps before working on the model. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:11 am 

Thanks. I think I might set up a magnifying glass so I can see better as far as where I am painting. A couple of more questions....
1. When I was a kid and put together some models I just glued and let it go at that. Sometimes there is not a perfect fit- slight gap. There is a modeler's putty I see but if you get it all over the place it could cause more harm than good. Any suggestions.
2. When I say detail painting, there may be a slightly raised area- for example on the ship I'm building the back has U S S CONSTITUTION in slightly raided letters. I could use a micro brush but I was wondering if a flat surface just pressed against the raised letters would work. I have looked at some tutorials on the net but haven't found too much.
3. On the rigging, I am a fly fisherman and tie flies. I was thinking of doubling over the rigging and using a thin whisper of silk to tie the doubled over thread and add a little glue, once dry- clip off excess.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:17 pm 

Hi and thanks for your reply.

By the by what scale is the model, as that has a bearing on what is possible.

For painting raised letters and the like, I often find it best to use a very fine nibbled felt tip or similar pen. Just touch it where required, and wipe off any spillage immediately. Or if not possible leave the excess and carefully touch in with the base colour. And if the scale is sufficient use brass or copper etched letters, pre paint them, sand down those on the model, and replace with the new letters.

Gap filling can be down with fillers. Work it in with a modelling knife, and carefully cut away the surplus while the filler is soft. Another alternative if the gap is not large is with matt varnish.

Shall be interested to hear how your rigging works out. But be careful not to tension the parts the rigging is attached to, especially if spars or masts. These are fragile and easily bent out of shape.

Good luck.