The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:33 am 

Sorry for the dumb question, there isn't a "stupid questions" subforum. But is there a place thats good for getting decals for 1/350 ships? Or a method you use to paint numbers/ship names? Just not satisfied with my work. Used the search but didn't find anything.. May have not done it correctly.

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:27 am 

Most any on-line store carries decals of all kinds.
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:57 pm 

If you could point me in the direction of one, I'd be grateful. I've found a few but most are old and out of business. Most recently I'm trying to find a 1/350 Haida decal- G63.. (or even G, 6, and 3 in the same size that roughly fits). But more importantly, I want to find someone who can provide capital ship names. Maybe this just isn't something that really exists, I've had bad lucky finding anything.

Sorry for taking a while to respond to this, I was waiting on some numbers from ebay.. best fit I could find.. and they just don't work.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 am 

Have you tried Micro Scale decals? They're not in model ship scales, so you will have to search their catalogue for suitable style and size:
http://www.microscale.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:37 pm 

There's another option I forgot: You will need the use of a home/office printer, and opaque white decal sheet. Blank decal sheet is usually available from hobby/arts and craft stores. Download a suitable font style from the net - there are hundreds of free fonts available. Assuming your numbers and letters are in white, and the ship's hull color is gray, you can color-match the background on the decal sheet to the color of the model, and print the digits with blank color (no color) so that it remains white. You will have to do this on your computer's graphics program. Practice a bit on plain white printing paper until you get the color, technique, and digit size right. You will have to spray the finished decals with a fixative so the color doesn't bleed when you apply them.
You could also, using the white decal paper, cut out the needed letters/numbers.
Or, cut out a mask on Tamiya masking tape and airbrush the digits directly onto the model.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:22 pm 

drasticplastic wrote:
There's another option I forgot: You will need the use of a home/office printer, and opaque white decal sheet. Blank decal sheet is usually available from hobby/arts and craft stores. Download a suitable font style from the net - there are hundreds of free fonts available. Assuming your numbers and letters are in white, and the ship's hull color is gray, you can color-match the background on the decal sheet to the color of the model, and print the digits with blank color (no color) so that it remains white. You will have to do this on your computer's graphics program. Practice a bit on plain white printing paper until you get the color, technique, and digit size right. You will have to spray the finished decals with a fixative so the color doesn't bleed when you apply them.
You could also, using the white decal paper, cut out the needed letters/numbers.
Or, cut out a mask on Tamiya masking tape and airbrush the digits directly onto the model.

bumping this, sorry it's my first post.

I've decided to go in the direction of printing my own decals.

My problem has been locating the art.

I am collecting pieces for the 1/350 Bismarck. I've built it before, about 20 years ago, but this time, I'm going all out, wood, PE, brass barrels, the whole 9 yards.

But I am having a hard time sourcing the decals for the ship, the historical ones. I did find a supplier in Australia who makes them, but they're 'back ordered'. Who know when he'll make them or acquire them again.

Does anyone have a source for the art already done? This isn't a question just for the Bismark, but I've got a Graf Spee and a Prince of Wales also that I need to find decals for. (Or make them)

Also, Why does it need to be the white decal paper? Why couldn't clear decal paper work? Lot's of decals have color... I have ordered some of the paper and will experiment, but I'd rather learn from those who have gone before...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:12 pm 

Hello

Clear decal paper is fine for dark or black writings, but colorized decals will not be so visible, due to a lack of white opaque background... especially if underlaying paint is also dark. Inks are somewhat "transparent".

Unless you have access to alps printer !