The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:11 am 
Ahoy,

I want to move from stretching sprue for antennas in 1/700 scale to a more flexible material. Thus, I researched some rigging material and I found 4 options (tights are out :lol:, so is EZ-Line):

Do you have any experience with the material and can you recommend one?
What is the thinnest and has the best size/fit for 1/700 scale?

Cheers,

jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:11 am 

Guest wrote:
Ahoy,

I want to move from stretching sprue for antennas in 1/700 scale to a more flexible material. Thus, I researched some rigging material and I found 4 options (tights are out :lol:, so is EZ-Line):

Do you have any experience with the material and can you recommend one?
What is the thinnest and has the best size/fit for 1/700 scale?

Cheers,

jack

I have used Caenis-type flyfishing thread. It's so thin that you have to take special precautions to be able to see what the heck you are doing when tying to tie knots in it. Anything thinner would just be painful. Speaking of pain, it was an absolute, unmitigated pain to work with but looks very nice when actually in place on the model. I tightened the thread with the heat from a blown-out match once in place, it worked well.

My model with this rig:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=164629

I have some Uschi lying around in different diameters that I will try on my current build. Ask me again in a week or two.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:19 am 

Second for Uni Caenis. I didn't like it at first because it's so fine I could barely see it, but I am becoming used to it. And it will tighten slightly, like stretched sprue, with use of heat. I use the smoke from a burning incense stick - makes my workroom smell nice, too! (Sandlewood is very pleasant)
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:00 am 

Thx Sailors for the replies!

@Bouncy70

Do you happen to have the "Super fine" thread from Uschi's at hand? How does the van der Rosten material compare to Uni Caenis (20 Denier) in diameter? Is it thicker or comparable?
    Really like your model :thumbs_up_1: (wish I had your expertise yet). How do you connect the caenis thread at the mast (pic 1) and at the ship's side (pic 2). Looks really great in 1/700!!!

Cheers,

Jack

Attachments:
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg [ 263.2 KiB | Viewed 2729 times ]
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg [ 287.06 KiB | Viewed 2729 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 am 

I have the thinnest Uschi line but I haven't tried it yet. As I said, ask again in a week or two. That said, I do believe it is for all intents and purposes the same stuff as the fine flyfishing monofilament.

I have a long background in building wooden sailing ship models, so I use proper knots where possible, backed up with a bit of glue. At the ship's side this simply means tying the thread to the lower handrails. It is so very thin and fine that nobody can see the details of the attachment really. It is also tied to the mast or yardarm or whatever. The "clove hitch" knot is useful for this.

There is one line in the lower picture that is glued, the one that ends on the solid bulwark in front of the bridge. I used some kind of rubber cement, a small blob of it. Knots are better; far more controllable and much stronger.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:16 am 

Oh, and one more thing...wherever possible, try to make a line do more than one job. Do not stretch a line only from A to B if it can be continued on to C and maybe even D in one go! This makes life easier all round and minimizes the points of failure - a thread is unlikely to snap in the middle but sadly likely to have a knot at the end unravel and come loose. Minimize the number of thread ends.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 am 

Thx Bouncy70 ....

... for your detailed reply. Very useful! Will give it a try meanwhile. I shoot you a PN in 2 weeks or so.
Or would be great, if you post your experience, as other sailors might be interested as well!

Thx so far and a ‚Happy New Year‘!

Cheers,

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 am 

Hello sailors,

just a quick update. I have finally ordered the "Ultra Fine Black Lycra Rigging" from Infini Model with 20 Denier (http://infini-model.com/index.php/portfolio/ir0202w/) a couple of weeks ago. I have already rigged 2 ships with it and I have to say it is great for 1/700 and even 1:1200 scale. I do not know, how this compares to Uschi's. Very subjectively, I think the Infini lycra thread is even thinner than the UNI thread (and that is already very thin). However, having said this, this is how I do it.

I use the UNI Caenis thread to stabilze the masts and the Infini thread between the masts. This way the masts will not bend and stay straight, irrespective of the rigging.

So, thanks for all your great advice and tips.

Ahoy,

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:04 pm 

I used Usci Van Der Host 0,005 and 0,001. It proved great. It is flexible, elastic indeed, easy to fix and, being black, very realistic. See my Liberty Ship under torpedo attack in 2021 ship gallery (as Eugenio Lorenzini). It is 1/350, but works well as 1/700 as well

Attachments:
3DB1ADE5-258C-4BD8-B052-31B5229761F3.jpeg
3DB1ADE5-258C-4BD8-B052-31B5229761F3.jpeg [ 284.09 KiB | Viewed 1374 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:20 am 

Hello ship-builders!! :wave_1:

I have been building ships for awhile ( and even before being a part of 'ModelWarships' ), but I would like to share a YT link on a "How To..." on rigging ships!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6e-A1tiIOo

This video, I hope, will be Helpful for those who are wondering about the different types of rigging lines for ships. I used two (2) different brands... Mig rigging and ModelKasten, both have been useful in my (at the time of this post) three (3) ships that I have used these products.

I show how to attach lines to make signal flag lines through narration and stills and with the help of my daughter using video.

Let me know what you think. :thumbs_up_1:

M. Mares