The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PE assistance
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:41 pm 

So my FFG has a very large section of PE deck that has to go down. Probably 9” long on Academy’s Oliver Hazard Perry. I’m afraid to try and put it all down at once with CA. Is there a trick to doing this kind of thing to make sure it lays flat in the end?
Pic from Koppalakki‘S FFG-61. This it what i want to end up with :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject: Re: PE assistance
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:48 am 

If possible, you can drill in the plastic part and glue from behind. If you start at one end you can be fairly sure that they part will at least be aligned properly! I'd also roughen the plastic deck part a bit; if it is very smooth then you may squeeze all the glue out again. Scratching some lines around each drilled hole may help? You can then (carefully) work your way forward; adding drop by drop, lifting the deck to take in a bit of glue, depressing again. Not too much to avoid any chances of permanent folds in the PE. Then perhaps use a plastic strip with a small drop op glue to swipe against the sides. Clean up afterwards? Even if the bottom of the part is still visible you can correct with putty.

(This is what I probably do for my first attempt)

Post subject: Re: PE assistance
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:40 am 

You might try a two-part epoxy. It has a long working time so you can slide it around until it mates, has water clean up so you can use a wet towel to remove anything that squeezes out, and makes a more flexible bond which can be useful because thermal expansion may be a factor here.